PDA

View Full Version : New sites and advertising

John
07-24-2005, 01:08 PM
Hi, I have been reading the forum for a while now and have finally decided to give site development a shot. I'm working on my first site now (OfficeAntics) and have a few questions about advertising on it.

First I'll tell you about my site. It's going to be a humor site with jokes, pictures, games, ect. except all of the content will be work safe. I know in the office I work in most humor websites aren't avalible to employee's because of the inappropriate content, so I think a website like this could get a decent amount of visitors.

What I am wondering is should I use adsense and put ads on it when it first opens or should I wait until I have a decent amount of visitors and then put ads on it.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Cutter
07-24-2005, 03:27 PM
Unless you are planning on eventually bombarding your site with pop-ups and banner ads everywhere I don't think it matters. I haven't seen any evidence one way or the other.

James
07-24-2005, 06:37 PM
Safe-for-work entertainment sites are very popular.

I haven't found any difference in my traffic levels, or the amount of people that say they like/dislike my site based on how early I introduce advertisements. As long as you provide good content.

John
07-25-2005, 06:23 AM
Ok thanks guys, I guess I'll put ads on it as soon as it opens.

Chris
07-25-2005, 08:59 AM
I don't think adsense is going to perform well on a humor site.

John
07-25-2005, 11:34 AM
I don't think adsense is going to perform well on a humor site.

Well thats what I was thinking, I figured CPM ads would generate more revenue then adsense but to get into a decent CPM program I thought my site would need a good amount of traffic. Thats why I thought if I started out with no ads and built up my user base I could then get into a good CPM program.

Emancipator
07-26-2005, 07:27 AM
john focus on having a fun site... and let the ads be secondary.... thats my 2cents. And whatever you do my man dont put popups on your site.. GREAT way to murder your popularity

MarkB
07-26-2005, 08:17 AM
And be sure to kick off a newsletter from day one (with a daily clean, work-safe joke:)).

John
07-26-2005, 08:42 AM
OK guys thanks for the advice. :D

Emancipator
07-28-2005, 08:55 AM
Interesting idea on the newsletter and the joke a day... I have a new newsletter but its weekly free movies.. not jokes :P

John
07-28-2005, 09:23 AM
What do you you use to run your newsletter?

Emancipator
07-29-2005, 06:29 AM
there are a pile of great scripts on hotscripts. Mine i do up in imageready and power the backend with php. Here are 3 samples Issue 3 just went out yesterday

http://www.moviesonline.ca/newsletter/issue3.html
http://www.moviesonline.ca/newsletter/issue2.html
http://www.moviesonline.ca/newsletter/issue1.html

I spent about 30minutes on it

moonshield
07-29-2005, 11:34 AM
heh, you are pretty good with those tools (imageready). Maybe I should learn to use them, any tips?

James
07-29-2005, 07:28 PM
Learn shortcut keys. Even just merging layers makes everything (the whole project, not just the merging of layers for it) a lot quicker when you use them.