PDA

View Full Version : MovieFanatics Newsletter

Emancipator
07-15-2005, 08:40 AM
I started a MovieFanatics newsletter which is sent out weekly to people who subscribe. It contains a couple of featured items from my websites and also most importantly contains the latest contests.

Also each week there is an "instant satisfaction" contest where by the first few people who read and respond, sometimes respond with the correct answer win a great prize.

I have put a version online.. this is what gets emailed.
http://www.moviesonline.ca/newsletter/issue1.html

Its only Issue 1, and I am sure by issue 3 will look a hell of alot better. By being a member of the newsletter everyone is auto-entered into every contest, and also can win some instant prizes if they read it.

Cutter
07-15-2005, 09:00 AM
Very nice, I've been starting a bunch of newsletters on my site. What kinds of numbers are you getting for opt-ins?

Emancipator
07-15-2005, 09:05 AM
its only been up a day and i have not been properly promoting it so right now the rates are low, but ask me in a week once i start promoting it better :)

Cutter
07-15-2005, 11:11 AM
Here is a good article on MarketingSherpa I read yesterday. It gives some tips about getting opt-ins through a contact us form:
http://www.marketingsherpa.com/sample.cfm?contentID=3031

Emancipator
07-15-2005, 11:15 AM
yeah i am not to worried about the opt ins... i run at least 5 contests a week and to win you have to be a "MovieFanatic" aka on my newsletter list. Contact form wouldnt serve the purpose i want.

Plus my newsletter is deliberately serving a purpose, running contests... which in turn brings my readers back!

James
07-15-2005, 09:46 PM
Nice design for it, you've got there.
It's got a few empty places that sorta draw attention: under the left part of the logo, between the picture for The Skeleton Key and 'movie details', and on the bottom right.
I think it'd be cool if you just put the logo overtop of more of a section for The Skeleton Key, like you did with Horror-Movies.ca

Hope it does well.
Who is it that you have writing as 'The Dude'? And who wrote that Steve Carell article?

Emancipator
07-16-2005, 06:31 AM
yeah the newsletter was one of those 20minutes and wanna do a newsletter projects... good feedback james and I am sure by version 2 it will get better... still have to tinker quite a bit with it.

I have 4 or 5 writers that write for me. In exchange I get them access to screenings, and closed door meetings with celebs. the dude is one of them. He saw War of the Worlds with Tom Cruise in a private screening in exchange for a review.. so i win.. and he wins. He probably goes to 3 screenings a week for me at least.

James
07-16-2005, 05:11 PM
He saw War of the Worlds with Tom Cruise in a private screening in exchange for a review..
HAHA! I loved that review. So did the people on my MSN messenger list that I shot the link off to.

moonshield
07-16-2005, 07:09 PM
eh, its where I go for movie info now...

Emancipator
07-17-2005, 08:26 AM
Great to hear Moonshield.. I try to make sure that my site always has the latest... as for the War of the Worlds review when I sent him to the premier they took his camera away since it was a private screening and they didnt want any big hub-ub. So he got out his crayolas and it was just to funny not to post it.