PDA

View Full Version : product specific sites

Cloughie
10-19-2003, 02:48 AM
What do you guys think of this?

www.atlargenutrition.com has 4 products.

I snapped up www.nitrean.com and www.thermocin.com the other day. (2 orf our product names) Unfortunately www.opticen.com was taken.

Anyway, I was considering building 2 sites with these really going to town with each of them. Expanding content on them, having detailed testimonials etc, and basically just another avenue for people searching the net to be able to find our products.

What do you think?

Chris
10-19-2003, 06:47 AM
Its not the greatest idea.

Why make competition between your own sites? You'll basically be taking incoming links away from your main site with the subsite, and vice versa. So each site is only half as effective as it could be, and I personally would rather have something ranked #1 than two things ranked 5 and 6.

The only way I could see this being good is if you didn't seek any link popularity for these secondary sites, and instead used them in advertising (like offline ads).

chromate
10-19-2003, 11:49 AM
Maybe I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem so crazy to me. Wouldn't it be easier to get nitrean.com ranking #1 for the keywork "nitrean" rather than trying to get atlargenutrition.com ranking #1 for a search on nitrean? Purely because people would link to nitrean.com using the keyword in the anchor text. Same goes for thermocin.com.

Wouldn't it be better to have 2 sites ranked #1 for their respective keywords than 1 site at say #5 for the two keywords?

Of course, I don't know about the competition / popularity of these keywords and it may be possible to get that one site to #1 for both pretty easily.

But then, if there is the need for the two sites, then it would negate the need for atlargenutrition.com unless it was targetting different keywords. Like Chris says, there's no point in creating 2 or more competing sites.

Shawn
10-19-2003, 01:13 PM
Uh - search Google for Nitrean, see what site comes up first :)

chromate
10-19-2003, 01:35 PM
lol... same with thermocin. Sorry, I hadn't even bothered doing a search. :) I just assumed that because the idea was to create 2 new sites, #1 rank hadn't been achieved yet which is why I replied as I did.

However, if you're already at #1 Cloughie for both those keywords, then why create two new sites?

basically just another avenue for people searching the net to be able to find our products

Thing is, if people are searching the net for any of the above then they will have entered your site through atlargenutrition.com anyway.

Cloughie
10-20-2003, 01:40 AM
Also I would not expect people to really be typing in product names, so a number one ranking for a product name whilst nice, doesn’t do much for me.

I just figured it would aloe me to really make the site keyword heavy and try and get number one searches on the type of supplements they are. Meal replacements, fatburners etc.

Guess I will concentrate on atlargenutrition.com :)

Thanks for your help.

chromate
10-20-2003, 01:54 AM
well, if you're going to try and target other keywords that wont be in competition with those used on atlargenutrition, then it may well be worth creating new sites.