PDA

View Full Version : site affiliation

coolosxapps
07-09-2005, 04:07 PM
Hi. I have been lurking here quite some time. I have finally gotten around to creating a site and it is starting to get traffic.

It deals with a specific niche community, apple OS X users and it centers on cool osx applications. From apple and 3rd party as apple is open source and people really seem to be creating a lot of apps.

I used apple's logo in my design and my domain has os X in it as well. I am using the traffic to draw conversions from a linkshare program I set up with the apple store. I have pending applications to tribal fusion and casale.

This is my first time so excuse my n00b-ness....In return I will try to be a member of this community and share whatever I have learned.

I am running wordpress.org's blog software [php & MySQL]. I have just bought a bunch of domains and will continue to use this approach of blogging, syndicating, and putting out content to niche markets supported by affiliate ca$h.

Do I have too many ads?

Is apple gonna make me lose the logos?

I have a disclaimer that says I my site is not affiliated with apple. Then I added a whole slew of affiliate links, am I in fact affiliated with apple, and does this statement on non-affiliation make me look like super n00b?

I have also included a sneaky link to apple.com's site after the disclaimer is this considered below the belt?

Chris
07-09-2005, 04:25 PM
Yes, too many ads.

A single large banner will convert better than so many small ones, and your banners promoting completely unrelated things like 1800flowers and linkshare need to go.

I would also integrate the Google ads more into the design, the CTR should go up and it'll look less like an ad.

coolosxapps
07-09-2005, 05:33 PM
hi. thanks man. I read a great deal of your tutorials and want to thank you personally, err...digitally

I have been tweaking thing since I posted and now I am going to start getting rid of ads based on your recommendation. I may run a listing of text product ads down the side though. What do you think of sneaky text ads?

Cutter
07-09-2005, 05:39 PM
Text ads are good. Just do trial and error -- thats really the best way to find these details out.

As for the apple logo you will have to lose it. I know they are particularly sensative about their intellectual property rights.

coolosxapps
07-09-2005, 06:45 PM
Thanks chris things look a lot cleaner now, look how I integrated my text ads 'recommendation' into the blog css, I actually have more 'impressions' right now per page and load time has gone way down.

II looked at your sites for the text ideas....i think it integrated nicely.

coolosxapps

coolosxapps
07-09-2005, 10:05 PM
I got rid of all but one logo, I still have a huge apple logo as a background. I will take care of that tomorrow along with a css revamping....funny how one can lose complete control of time while pecking away at a new site. for now it's off to bed...

thank you for the help.

ogito
07-10-2005, 03:24 AM
coolosxapps, did you tried widh more faded (transparant) backgroung image , sometimes is hard to read the text over the image

coolosxapps
07-10-2005, 10:53 AM
ogito...I'm gonna pull the image altogether due to copyright....I will make sure that whatever I use is 'ghosted' more thanks.

coolosxapps
07-10-2005, 08:26 PM
Okay,

I have worked out my background problems by getting rid of the damn thing. Ogito wasn't the only person to comment on that.

I have two css files running one for non ie browsers and one for ie. This seems to be a wordpress standard.

Since it is a mac site I figure most of my traffic should come from safari and firefox users, but I will put a little more time into the ie css tomorrow.

Another user suggested I include a screenshot of apps that I am highlighting. Once I get everything listed this will be project 2.

Wordpress was really easy to use and thats coming from someone with just a wee bit of knowledge of php and MySQL.