PDA

View Full Version : I'm #1 on msn

chromate
07-08-2005, 09:59 AM
... for "dating services". Cool huh? Probably the most competitive keyword I've ever ranked #1 for. Shame I'm on like page 3 in google :rolleyes: Seems impossible to get close to the first page on google without doing link exchanges with hundreds of spammy sites. I already have a ton of those in the links section of my dating site as it is :(

r2d2
07-08-2005, 10:00 AM
Ah, good work! How long have you had it (#1) ? How much traffic does it bring?

Chris
07-08-2005, 10:02 AM
I was #1 on MSN briefly for web templates.

chromate
07-08-2005, 10:07 AM
Feels good to finaly hit a #1 spot for that keyword, even if it is temporary :) Not really sure how much traffic it will bring yet, as I let my AXS traffic log fill up until it just died. I've reset it now, so I'll let you know in a few days. Doubt it will be much though, considering it's MSN, and the title of my listing's not exactly that apealing.

Todd W
07-08-2005, 10:22 AM
Congrats - MSN is flucuating like crazy right now though :-/ Hope it stays there.

chromate
07-08-2005, 10:30 AM
Yeah, I hope it sticks too :) Chances of that? About 1 / 1,000,000 :) But you never know haha

Mike
07-08-2005, 10:34 AM
Congrats Chromate, let us know how much traffic it gets ya :)

Chris, did you make many more sales with your "web templates" #1 spell?

Westech
07-08-2005, 10:41 AM
I was #1 on MSN for "internet games" for quite a while. I think I'm down to around #8 now. Enjoy it while it lasts!

Chris
07-08-2005, 11:22 AM
I'm not sure mike, I don't really monitor it.

Shawn
07-08-2005, 12:55 PM
MSN is easy to rank #1 on -- I can do so on most terms I target. eBay UK, eFax, eBay motors, etc. It takes anywhere from about 5-10 days.

People don't give credit to MSN. Sure, MSN brings about 3-10% of the traffic that Google does (if you rank #1 in Google for "dog food," ranking in MSN for the same position and term will bring you about 3-10% of the visitors Google will).

Keep in mind, it also depends on the term. More technology oriented people use Google, while some new internet users who come with the MSN homepage installed into IE will use to search. If you're targeting the term "webmaster forums," MSN isn't going to take you very far. If you're targeting car insurance quotes, MSN will be much more beneficial.

If you have a lot of resources to get links, MSN is your best friend. You just have to make sure the term(s) you target receive well over 1k searches a day, since you're only receiving a percentage of that.

Yahoo, in my experience, is very close to MSN, except for the fact that it brings much more traffic. Everything in MSN that I rank highly for, I rank within 5 positions of that in Yahoo!.

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=ebay+uk&sm=Yahoo%21+Search&fr=FP-tab-web-t&toggle=1&cop=&ei=UTF-8
http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?FORM=MSNH&srch_type=0&q=ebay+uk

Of course, this is just my experience (reccurring experience). This isn't meant to be a white paper -- take my advice with a grain of salt, I don't care. For EVERY site and term that I have targeted, the above information has applied to it.

chromate
07-08-2005, 01:41 PM
My dating site doesn't seem to be in the firt 6 pages of Yahoo. Dunno why.

Also, from what I can see so far, the traffic from MSN isn't going to do much for me. Since I made that initial post, I've only had 3 visitors from MSN; and they were probably people from here ;) haha.

ozgression
07-08-2005, 08:29 PM
I've been #1 for a few terms and they don't bring in much traffic, but what they do bring usually converts well.

James
07-08-2005, 10:20 PM
GJ Chromate. Especially since it seems that everyone and their dog and grandma and hamster, goat, gold fish, siamese fighting fish, and cat are all making dating sites.

Cutter
07-09-2005, 08:52 AM
One of my ebook sites is #1 on there for its biggest keyword right now. I've had other sites on the front too, but they never stayed longer than a few weeks.