PDA

View Full Version : Can you create forms in photoshop?

cnotation
07-04-2005, 02:17 AM
Hello everyone. I recently downloaded a template of photoshop websites. Honestly before then I didnt know you could even make websites on there. I always used Frontpage. So I am amazed at how "nice" photoshop websites look. So I put together a design and transfered it to Dreamweaver. When I tried to add a text box and other form functions the sliced collection of jpgs that made up my design seemed to shatter. Can you put a textbox over a jpg? Or can you someone do it in photoshop? Thanks for listen.

r2d2
07-04-2005, 04:29 AM
You probably want to set the jpg as the background, then you can put the text box 'on top' of the jpg.

Not sure if you could do this in PS, but you definitely could in DW.

AndyH
07-04-2005, 06:29 AM
You can make websites in PhotoShop?

Which version?

MarkB
07-04-2005, 06:38 AM
You can only create graphic elements in Photoshop.

Any HTML elements (such as a form) need to be added using HTML code.

Emancipator
07-04-2005, 07:12 AM
You can do alot of your template design and export in Photoshop but you cant do the actual site. I lay my sites out in photoshop, and slice them up but the code itself is done in dreamweaver.

cnotation
07-04-2005, 07:25 AM
r2d2 thanks alot, you helped my solve my problem. DW and PS are a great pair!

Emancipator
07-04-2005, 07:48 AM
yes they are.. you cant go wrong with it.. just keep in mind coding PHP in dreamweaver makes a SERIOUSLy massive mess :P

cnotation
07-04-2005, 08:16 AM
im new to making "good" websites.. ive made my share of crappy ones. to let you know where i am... i just bought a copy of "PHP & MySQL For Dummies" today. Hopefull after a week I can finally fix my PHP shopping cart!

Cutter
07-04-2005, 10:12 AM
Don't obsess with the design unless you plan on being a web designer (as opposed to someone who make income-generating sites for themself.)

The key is to make a website that is usable rather than "fancy." You want the site to load fast & be SE friendly.

For example, look at Sitepoint's front page. There are plenty of graphics, but they are elements of the site rather than the actual layout. Sitepoint's design clearly works and looks good. On the other side of things you have graphics-intensive "fancy" sites that use java and flash -- these things make it look like you are a web design expert but in the end they don't make you the $$$.

I used to layout my sites in Illustrator. Now I use a basic template and make modifications from there. I use seperate CSS files so I can easily adjust the color scheme and fonts.

I should add, Photoshop is great for creating gradient backgrounds & drop shadows -- but do these right rather than creating gigantic background images for your site.

James
07-04-2005, 05:25 PM
Oh god, not coding sites using raw XHTML 1.1 Strict and CSS?
.... I think I'm gonna be sick....

Emancipator
07-05-2005, 11:56 AM
im with cutter. Although as James knows im a whore for not making my sites work in Firefox... My sites are just simple templates I make up.... nothing fancy... no time invested.

Cutter
07-05-2005, 02:02 PM
The first "for-profit" site I made mostly using a CSS layout. There was one part of the header which was off by about 3 pixels when rendered in Mozilla. Because there was text on it, it was obvious.

It took me over a month to get it to look the same in both Firefox and IE -- turned out it was one little <p> tag!

r2d2
07-05-2005, 02:24 PM
There was one part of the header which was off by about 3 pixels when rendered in Mozilla.

Do try to remember its IE that is wrong, virtually all other browsers display to the standards...

I spent a while on that problem though... Google can always help (http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hs=M4t&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&c2coff=1&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=3+pixel&btnG=Search) on even the simplest search terms though :) (see the top result in the link)