PDA

View Full Version : Ad networks that negate popup blockers

Chris
07-01-2005, 08:21 PM
I've noticed that sometimes popunders make it through my blockers. Anyone else?

Mostly I've noticed casale, sometimes fastclick, rarely tribal fusion though I think.

This is important, as even though TF is providing a higher CPM they can't get near the fill rate as the networks who have figured out was around IE's and Google's popup blockers.

James
07-01-2005, 09:03 PM
Hell, some are getting past Firefox. Sitepoint's for example, and I've noticed a legion of popups shooting their way through Firefox from Fastclick. Absolutely tons.

r2d2
07-02-2005, 05:38 AM
Interesting. Wasnt there a thread on here about how ad blockers are meaning people can effectively steal content from good honest webmasters like us? And they are bad etc..

Should also say I am glad of Firefox's popup blocking capabilities for my own browsing use ;)

Generalissimo
07-02-2005, 05:46 AM
I've been considering removing popups from my sites altogether.

Chris
07-02-2005, 07:09 AM
I use blockers, I consider ad blocking to be stealing, but popups are annoying and can cause computer problems.

In anycase, it makes sense to go with a network that can break the blockers.

James
07-02-2005, 05:22 PM
Wasnt there a thread on here about how ad blockers are meaning people can effectively steal content from good honest webmasters like us? And they are bad etc..Actually, I think that was on SitePoint.

Personally, I don't look at the popups at all. I've been on the internet for 9 years, and I very rarely even notice popups. I've just usually noticed it because I've accidently clicked the advert when it magically flies up faster than I can comprehend it; I usually don't even notice that there's a popup and I've already closed it.
I do, however, look at the contents of banner ads.

Generalissimo
07-03-2005, 04:46 AM
Same as James, I've never clicked on a popup, but I've clicked on plenty of banner ads and bought products they were selling...

chromate
07-03-2005, 07:07 AM
I've noticed a lot of pops slipping past the firefox blocker too.

davesplace1
07-05-2005, 07:58 PM
I have a love/hate thing with popups. At one time they were over 50% of my income, now it's more like 10%. I like the revenue side but on the surfing side, sometimes they will cause my browser to stall or crash. Too many popups are bad, but I still think a few pops are not bad for your revenues or your site visitors.