PDA

View Full Version : National ID DB/ID Cards

Generalissimo
07-01-2005, 01:45 PM
In the UK the government has voted to introduce ID cards. I am incredibly angry and am currently planning on emigrating to Canada. I refuse to live in a country that is turning into a police state. If anyone feels the same way I urge you to sign http://www.pledgebank.com/refuse

Blue Cat Buxton
07-01-2005, 02:00 PM
Sean, dont panic!

They are a long way from implimentation and compulsion - 4 years, change of government, anything could change.

Hang in there

Generalissimo
07-01-2005, 02:09 PM
But the thing is they say they won't be compulsary, but you'll need one to apply for a passport.

Read this for proof: http://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/?id=2005-06-28.1151.0

MarkB
07-01-2005, 03:03 PM
They still need to get it passed through the house of Lords - which will not happen IMO. Also, their majority was greatly reduced on the number of votes they scored, so I imagine they will be reworking the details a bit.

The fact that we will have to pay for them out of our own pockets needles me, though.

AndyH
07-02-2005, 12:38 AM
No offense, but I highly doubt you are going to move to Canada over this...

Generalissimo
07-02-2005, 01:05 AM
The house of lords rejecting just delays it for a year.

James
07-02-2005, 01:29 AM
Yes, but I can assure you that there are very few people in the UK who want them to be introduced. I think that the anti-ID card movement will be well-supported by residents of the UK and people around the world.

Generalissimo
07-02-2005, 05:41 AM
Good point. I'm going to join my local no2id.net campaign.

The New Guy
07-02-2005, 05:48 AM
You need to watch this.

http://www.comedycentral.com/sitewide/media_player/play.jhtml?itemId=12561&poppedFrom=_shows_the_daily_show_videos_stephen_co lbert_index.jhtml&

Generalissimo
07-02-2005, 05:57 AM
That's funny.

chromate
07-03-2005, 07:29 AM
The fact that we will have to pay for them out of our own pockets needles me, though.

Yeah, that's what annoys me too.

Having to own an ID card doesn't bother me in principle. I can see a lot of good reasons for ID cards. The only people that it should cause problems for are people who break the law.

However, I don't have faith that the admin systems will be able to handle the whole thing. So it will probably just end up being problems and an expense for everyone. I think the problems it'll introduce will outweigh the benefits.

As for having to pay for one - go jump!

Generalissimo
07-03-2005, 10:37 AM
Here is a quote from wikipedia 'the government's own surveys, published with the ID Cards Bill, showed only 7% of the public willing to pay more than £20'.

There is hope yet - There is no way a labour government is going to cut spending on other things to pay for them, and they're not going to put taxes up either.

Blue Cat Buxton
07-03-2005, 11:45 AM
No, but they are linking them to new biometric passports. There is no compulsion to have a passport, but if you want one, you have to pay. And they say whilst you are getting your passport why not pay a little bit more and get the ID card. As I recall of the £98 suggested price, only about £20 was for the ID card, but you cant get one without the passport