PDA

View Full Version : Page length

chromate
10-17-2003, 03:34 AM
I have a database driven site (well, will have!). Some of the pages can be quite small depending on what db query is used. I want to have all my pages crawled. As some of the pages can be quite small (sometimes as little as 2 lines of information), would I be penalized by the search engines? Do they have a minimum page length?

I know google doesn't like people creating many pages just to boost their PageRank and I'm wondering if google may see my site as trying to do that.

Any thoughts?

Chris
10-17-2003, 06:02 AM
Two lines is not large at all.

The problem would be that the pages would mostly be seen as largely similar since all the code for your menu and whatnot would be more than 2 lines, and then only these two small lines, which might be 5% of the page, change.

I don't know that you'd be penalized, but if you want these pages to be effective for SEO you need more content.

chromate
10-17-2003, 06:40 AM
Well, it's not really that I want people to find the site via those pages but I would like them for building PR power. But not at the expense of being penalised.

I have a hierarchical link structure. I think it may be best if the "leaf" pages (that sometimes have little information) aren't crawled really.