PDA

View Full Version : Geek Slash

Generalissimo
06-30-2005, 12:18 AM
http://www.geekslash.com

I've started working on it, it's fully functional, not under construction or anything, but I'll be adding far more content and sections soon.

It's currently got File Help, Articles and Interactive Tutorials, oh, and a forum.

James
06-30-2005, 04:05 AM
Apologies on the random order of this....

Looks like you've got a small white border around the logo; however, it just makes the image look like it was poorly cut out of a white page, or is a transparent gif meant for a white background.

I suggest changing the a:hover on the left navigation to the lighter orange color used in the logo.

The first header in http://www.geekslash.com/articles/avoiding-adware-and-spyware should say 'are' not 'is'.

You've got some small issues with your grammar on that page.

Original:

What are Spyware and Adware? Adware is software which advertising companies install onto your computer. They are made to display ads every so often in the hope that you will click them, and go to view the product which they are advertising. This can be very annoying to you as a computer user and can spoil you computing experience.

Spyware is very similar to Adware, but work in a different way. Instead of displaying Ads these programs collect information about you. This information is then sent back to the company’s that have infected you with this Spyware. They can use this information in conjunction with Ad companies to display relative adverts about the things that you commonly use on the internet.

Pimped:

What are Spyware and Adware? Adware is software which advertising companies install onto your computer. Adware programs are made to display ads every so often in the hope that you will click them, and go to view the product which they are advertising. This can be very annoying to you as a computer user and can spoil your computing experience.

Spyware programs are very similar to Adware, but work in a different way. Instead of displaying Ads these programs collect information about you. This information is then sent back to the companies that have infected you with this Spyware. They can use this information in conjunction with Ad companies to display targeted* adverts about the things that you commonly use on the internet.
*may want to use this instead of 'relative'. I'm not sure if 'relative' is the right word for it, either...

You may want to lower the amount of contractions you're using in your sentences, or at least be consistent with their usage.

In 'Avoiding Adware' you forgot to capitalize Internet Explorer.

A link is available at the bottom of the screen for this browser.
This may mislead some less bright folks (see: a large portion of the visitors to this page that just heard some scary thing on the TV show they watch every morning, that are internet retarded)

You should include a small bit in the 'Removing Adware' section saying that the programs were there before they downloaded Adaware, SpyBot, etc. and were simply hidden from them--BELIEVE ME, my brother and his girlfriend have worked as phone tech support people for a while, and people accuse them of causing the Spyware to be on their computer when they walk them through detecting it almost every time they do it.
Another good program to recommend is SpySubtract. You should probably sign up for one of the affiliate

There are many precautions which you can take to keep yourself free from Adware
There are many precautions which you can take to keep yourself free of Adware. Or you can say Adware-free, which IMHO sounds better.

You should include something under 'Avoiding Adware and Spyware' saying that they should make sure that the warnings that are popping up are real prompts.

These downloads could be Spyware, or even something worse such as a Virus.
These downloads may be Spyware. Or they could also be something much worse, such as a Virus.

Therefore, these kind of pop ups should be avoided.
Therefore, this kind of pop-up should be avoided.

There should always be an option of clicking no on these downloads
These downloads should always include the option to click no.

Even some websites show another message saying you must click yes. However, if you keep clicking no the pop ups will stop and then you are free to visit the site.
Some websites might show another message saying you must click yes. However, if you keep clicking no, the pop-ups will stop and then you are free to visit the site.
^ This may not be true in all cases.

The main ways of avoiding Spyware is to get a program which keeps scanning for the Spyware.
The main way of avoiding Spyware is to get a program which continually scans for it. .... wait a minute...

The main ways of avoiding Spyware is to get a program which keeps scanning for the Spyware. However, because you are often not told about the software being downloaded this is very difficult. Just perform the same security checks as Adware, and this should be efficient in keeping the Spyware away.
None of that makes any sense to me.

These will stop the Spyware contacting with the vendors (the company which sends you the programs) and therefore rendering the program useless.
This will disallow the Spyware programs to contact the vendors (the companies which install the Spyware on your computer) and therefore will render the Spyware program useless.

Doing this you can set the preferred level of information you will accept from a website.
Doing this, you can set the preferred level of information you will accept from a website.
Information may not be the right word to use with the crowd that'll visit your site.

and lowering the scale will higher up the amount of information which will be accepted from websites.
and lowering the scale will increase the amount of information which will be accepted from websites.

Therefore it is recommended that these sites are avoided to reduce the chances of catching Spyware.
Therefore, it is recommended that you avoid these sites to reduce the chances of having Spyware installed on your computer.

Many free programs need to include Adware from companies to keep free,
Should reword this. Some people won't realize that the programmers need money to survive, and adware companies will pay them to bundle the software.

Therefore, if you don’t want these programs installed on your, then cancel the installation of the program.
Therefore, if you don’t want these programs installed on your computer, then cancel the installation of the program.

There are several give offs
Hmm... never seen that phrase... meh... it should be give-offs.

However, no matter how hard they are to detect there are a few ways to spot an infection of Adware.
However, no matter how hard they are to detect, there are a few ways to spot an Adware infection.

The first indication is obvious.
Bad idea to say this. You might make some people feel stupid for not realizing this before; even if they've got poor knowledge of computers.

Many people have Yahoo!, Google or MSN as there homepage
Their.

It is recommended that you set one of these as your homepage because they are trusted websites.
It is recommended that you set your homepage to one of these, because they are trustworthy websites.

If you have noticed that sites which didn’t have adverts before then you could have Adware.
heh...
If you have noticed that sites which didn’t have adverts before are showing Adware now, then you might have Adware.

To check go to another website which you sure doesn’t have adverts
To check, go to another website which you're sure doesn't contain adverts

If they do then there is a very good chance that you computer is infected with Spyware.
If they do, then there is a very good chance that you computer is infected with Adware.

I think you need to use more variation in how you use your 'therefore's and 'however's. Here's a few examples:
Mary has red hair today; however, she's a natural blonde. Moreover, she acts like an idiot. She, therefore, is dumber than a doornail.

------------
Horridly nit-picky? I think so!

Blue Cat Buxton
06-30-2005, 04:46 AM
Wow, James, that is some reply!

piniyini
06-30-2005, 06:03 AM
what a reply! I was reading until relaising I've only read a quarter of the post then I thought ah forget it. I know what you mean though, good post

r2d2
06-30-2005, 07:44 AM
I was reading until relaising I've only read a quarter of the post then I thought ah forget it. I know what you mean though, good post

Lol, I was thinking the same thing!

Excellent post though!

Generalissimo
06-30-2005, 08:31 AM
I didn't write that article myself, I'll complain to the writer.

MarkB
06-30-2005, 09:08 AM
You forgot to thank James for the detailed feedback :)

thebillionaire
06-30-2005, 09:11 AM
you need a better writer, you should try several different people then just pick your best to write most of your articles. By the way I like those video tutorials ;)

Generalissimo
06-30-2005, 09:24 AM
Yes, thanks James. Saad, I got a bone to pick with you: How can something Macromedia makes automatically take you 10 hours to make?

The New Guy
06-30-2005, 10:07 AM
You guys make the comma work to hard :(

James
06-30-2005, 03:30 PM
Still doesn't make up for the 794 useless ones ;)

Generalissimo
07-05-2005, 06:53 AM
OK, writer has fixed the article and I've fixed the logo.