PDA

View Full Version : How much traffic?

Doug
06-17-2005, 11:25 PM
I am looking to selling ad space on www.strange-facts.com (http://www.strange-facts.com). I was wondering about how many daily uniques I should get too before I begin to market the ad space. I realize of course that the more uniques, the more I can charge but about how many would I need to get to before I could charge like 5 bucks a week.

Chris
06-18-2005, 05:25 AM
You'll have a hard time selling your own ads with so little traffic.

I'd just try adsense and maybe a general audience network like Casale or Fastclick .

Doug
06-18-2005, 07:41 AM
Well, I have adsense right now and for some reason fastclick says my site is in their database but I was never accepted by them. I was thinking more down the road, if it ever gets big.

James
06-18-2005, 12:40 PM
I'd say that it's a good idea to just leave an 'advertise here' link at the bottom of your site, saying the stats, and giving them an email form that lets them make offers.
Once you get people coming to you, and giving you prices, you'll be able to a) accept them and b) have a better idea of the general price these people are willing to pay.

Cutter
06-18-2005, 02:44 PM
Unless you are really pulling in big numbers or have specific requests for buying ads its hardly worth selling them on your own -- especially if you can't pull in $5 a week.

You could, however, go with one of the text link brokers. I forget urls, someone help me here. It shouldn't be difficult to get over $5 a week.

I'm taking a guess here based on my own sites, but I think your traffic is worth maybe 60 cents to $1 per thousand page impressions max. So for $5 a week, probably 5000 impressions

For my websites I've found its difficult to get anyone to pay more than Adsense pays. Really low quality traffic pays under $1, high quality targetted traffic can easily go over $50 a thousand impressions -- the only thing that compete with that is an affiliate program.

Doug
06-18-2005, 09:56 PM
As it stands right now I hardly pull in $1.00 a week, sometimes its a little more. My traffic just kicked up to about 100 uniques a day which I estimate turns into about 500-600 impressions. What exactly do these text link brokers do?

Cutter
06-19-2005, 12:40 PM
Basicly someone who wants to increase their Google PR or Search Engine rankings may want to buy a text link on your website. You place a listing on one of these sites, you could probably price it at $10, $15, or $25 a month.

I believe the site I was thinking of before was http://www.linkadage.com/

There are a lot more sites like this, just search "text links" on Google and you will get plenty of listings.

Edit: I should add, this is not a very good SEO practice, but if you want to make a little extra cash I think this is your best bet right now.

Doug
06-19-2005, 09:41 PM
Thanks, I will definately look into that.