PDA

View Full Version : Link Exchanges

r2d2
06-15-2005, 04:52 PM
Would any of you exchange links with a particular site that had a directory of links to all sorts of different sites. E.g. this site: http://www.mozetechnologies.com/links.html that is about web design, but essentially has a links directory.

What if the links to different sites were on the same page? Eg. would you want your cooking site link on a page with ringtone sites, 'pharmacy' sites etc?

Or would you only exchange links with a site that kept its links on topic?

James
06-16-2005, 07:54 AM
I would certainly not exchange links with a website design/SEO company, unless they were a friend.

I'd only exchange links with websites that are either on the same topic or draw the same crowd (ie cheats site->cheats site or cheats site->lyrics/music-related site)

Chris
06-16-2005, 09:12 AM
I only do on topic exchanges.

Really, from a PR perspective, link exchanges don't produce much. The only benefit is on topic traffic and a little on topic link bonus. So unless its an on topic site I don't see any benefit to doing it.

I also don't like exchanges based off "links" pages either, I think they're useless even if they are on topic. I prefer a link-in-content based exchange, much more effective for both people.

r2d2
06-16-2005, 09:45 AM
Ah sorry, should have said that the link exchange would only be with an on topic site.

Just wonder whether people would mind who else the site might link to?

I appreciate the other comments, I guess i'm probably losing PR on most exchanges - just trying out to see if I can improve traffic.

tomek
06-17-2005, 06:20 AM
check my sig for what I think is the smartest way to do link exchange (free, permanent links, on topic if possible, not on link pages, pure text links, fair i.e. you get what you give)