PDA

View Full Version : Keep long articles, or cut them up through multiple pages?

Cutter
06-09-2005, 03:29 PM
I'm going back and re-optimizing some of my websites I built rather quickly last year.

Here is the question, should I cut long pages up into multiple pages, or leave them together? I noticed Chris has cut up the articles on websitepublisher.net

I can think of several pros and cons here.

Pros:

-Makes Adsense more visable
-Keeps top bidders (as opposed to inserting 3 instances throughout the long page/article)
-Makes the pages easier to read for visitors
-Makes the pages more targetable

Cons:

-Readers enter site in the middle of an article
-PR/ranking drops, harder for robots to find, for pages farther away from main site

chromate
06-09-2005, 03:40 PM
A few more pros...

- Increased page impressions for any given article (more money from CPM ads)
- Easier to optimize a page for search engines.

I believe that it's good to keep traffic flowing through your site instead of just being static on a single page. That way you can run them through many different offers they might be interested in.

moonshield
06-09-2005, 05:26 PM
Another Con:

Annoying when done in very short pages.

Chris
06-09-2005, 06:55 PM
Its going to depend on the site, for this site I cut them up for all of the stated pros.

If you split them up though, you can't just use "next" or "click here" anchor text for page navigation. Use something a little more descriptive (meaning you'll need a title for each page).

Chris
06-09-2005, 06:56 PM
-Readers enter site in the middle of an article

Not really a con if this is a search engine referral. Chances are without splitting up the content you wouldn't have been listed with this page and so they would have never visited in the first place.

Todd W
06-09-2005, 08:12 PM
Its going to depend on the site, for this site I cut them up for all of the stated pros.

If you split them up though, you can't just use "next" or "click here" anchor text for page navigation. Use something a little more descriptive (meaning you'll need a title for each page).

I think your articles are split up nicely here.

Cutter
06-09-2005, 08:41 PM

Thanks, I probably would have missed that one!

davesplace1
06-11-2005, 10:13 AM
I would go with the many short pages. Seems like you make more from your ads that away. The pros outweight the cons on this one IMHO.

tomek
06-12-2005, 05:33 AM
>> should I cut long pages up into multiple pages?
yes, but don't make them too short

James
06-12-2005, 01:43 PM
I'd suggest, also, that you make each page based on a specific part of the article, much like http://webmonkey.com has. This'll allow for good SEO on smaller terms, which can generate more traffic to your website, and will allow your pages to be a good length, while also letting your visitors read just the part they're looking for if they come from Google.

Cutter
06-13-2005, 10:04 AM
Thanks guys, I've already started implementing this on one of my sites.

Cutter
06-20-2005, 05:37 PM
Ok, here is the follow up after doing this for about a week.

The CPM got cut in half, pageviews went down just a little bit.

This is one of those things you just got to test to see what will happen.

James
06-20-2005, 05:54 PM
Oh wow, that's not too fantastic.

Chris, did you start off with 'split' articles, or did you impliment it after trying it out first?

ogito
10-07-2005, 11:27 AM
Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but did someone else tried splitting articles? Does the the CTR goes down and CPM up?

Emancipator
10-07-2005, 12:03 PM
i thought about splitting pages but just never got around to doing it. I have code complete if there is interest I can post it on the coding board.

s2kinteg916
10-10-2005, 12:02 AM
another benefit of splitting up articles is ... also.. getting the user to get in the motion of clicking so on the last page if u send them off to an affiliate they are more likely to click...

Emancipator
10-10-2005, 08:15 AM
i try to avoid things like that since then my readers think im a scammer and never come back. I know i dont go back to sites that have a 'readmore' that is in fact just a hidden ad.