PDA

View Full Version : Flash is it ok?

asphalt
06-08-2005, 01:38 PM
I wanted to add a map of the united states showing all of the user of my site mapped to their city. Is there still a large percentage of users not using flash? I was going to add this on my homepage near the middle? Not really large but fairly good size.

I also thought about using one of the hacks for google maps that are out there currently. It sounds like google is ok with developers hacking their map service, so I am not sure if that would be a better solution??

Chris
06-08-2005, 03:14 PM
Why not simply make it optional (click here to see a map) instead of on the page by default?

thebillionaire
06-08-2005, 04:15 PM
Almost every one has flash, most sites have some type of flash content

James
06-08-2005, 05:21 PM
With something like this, your only options are really just Flash or Javascript, and people like Flash a hell of a lot more, because it runs smoother. I agree with Chris though; it should be optional. Something they have to click before it displays any Flash. Otherwise, it'll lag the page on slow computers/connections, and it'll lag when people scroll.

asphalt
06-09-2005, 06:44 AM
Very true about it not being on the homepage, I think it would be a cool feature and people would love it is why I wanted it on the homepage a lot like dodgeball .com. I will go with flash I think and make a noticable link where people won't miss it.

Anyone played with google maps at all?
Thanks

wrigh_g
07-14-2005, 11:52 AM
I have google maps is awsum. I agree, bits of the site in flash can be cool, just not when it is overused (for example the whole site :p)

moonshield
07-14-2005, 12:25 PM
google maps is not in flash...

wrigh_g
07-14-2005, 01:05 PM
i never said it was lol
put two <br> tags before "I agree," ignore me, im usless in any language lol :D

ivan doe
07-27-2005, 05:13 PM
incorporating flash in your website is a must! if it's something unique, it adds more appeal to your site.. go for it! ;)

James
07-27-2005, 05:24 PM
Hah good thing you put that ;) in there, or else you'd have a 2x4 with a nail sticking out of it flying towards your face :eek

tracer
11-08-2005, 10:14 PM
Using Flash is a good choice coz' it's easy to use but if you're not sure about the output and some other reasons, then why not try something else?