PDA

View Full Version : Websitepublisher.net not found

r2d2
06-08-2005, 09:42 AM
Does any one else get this message quite often?

Another attempt normally finds it, but for some reason it cant be found quite often - maybe 1 in 4 or 5 times or something.

Not had problems with any other sites.

Blue Cat Buxton
06-08-2005, 10:08 AM
Always ok for me

Generalissimo
06-08-2005, 11:16 AM
Always OK for me, but I used to get it with sitepoint and urgames a lot on my old PC, but never on this one.

thebillionaire
06-08-2005, 12:54 PM
Im guessing its prob a firewall or some sort of a antivirus. I had Norton internet security, and got some problems viewing sites, delted it some sites now work, but some still dont, like cj, mostly affiliate sites, I have no clue why

Does any one else get this message quite often?

Another attempt normally finds it, but for some reason it cant be found quite often - maybe 1 in 4 or 5 times or something.

Not had problems with any other sites.

Chris
06-08-2005, 03:15 PM
Norton edits your hosts file to block affiliate sites

Norton == bad. Boycott norton.

r2d2
06-08-2005, 03:50 PM
Definitely not Norton causing the problem!

Dont think it has happened at work though, so must just be something up with my setup.

James
06-08-2005, 05:44 PM
Agreed, Norton is a piece of crap, and from my experience doesn't even work too well.

Generalissimo
06-08-2005, 10:43 PM
First thing I did on my laptop was uninstall norton.

Blue Cat Buxton
06-09-2005, 12:53 AM
Back on topic, could it be your ISP / DNS. I get this with some of my sites - ok at work and then nothing at home - I have a strong suspission that it is to do with NTL (my home ISP) but that could just be a general prejudice against NTL :p

Mike
06-09-2005, 07:46 AM
Happens with me sometimes, and I dont use Norton...

MarkB
06-09-2005, 07:58 AM
When it happens, can you ping the domain name?

James
06-09-2005, 03:35 PM
Probably just caused by a problem with your modem, or cables leading to it, or your ISP sucks.

r2d2
06-10-2005, 10:04 AM
Well, it only happens now and then, and only with webpub.

Havent tried pinging, as it usually works second time.

Im with Zen, who are you with Mike?

Mike
06-10-2005, 11:07 AM
BT, it took me a few tries to get on today as well...

r2d2
06-11-2005, 04:39 AM
When it happens, can you ping the domain name?

Interesting, happened just now, so tried pinging, but no response. So tried jalic.com, and again, no response. 4discountshopping worked though, also tried google & bbc to be sure I wasnt having problems - they worked.

Then tried browsing to webpub and it worked, while pinging still didnt... Weird.

Chris
06-11-2005, 07:07 AM
Well Jalic.com is on a different server.....

I really don't know what the deal is, this is an hsphere server at Ev1.

I have lately had problems similar to this, I attribute it to my ISP's DNS being poor. Its not site specific though.

Basically I think that sometimes my ISP's DNS servers go down and they don't update them until there is a request for that domain. So the first time I request a domain it doesn't work, then in a few minutes it works. If I try really popular sites, like Yahoo or Google, it usually works the first try, but even Sitepoint won't work at first. This usually happens after a storm or something.

I don't know how applicable that is to you though.

To see if its DNS or something else, why not try pinging the IP next time?

r2d2
06-11-2005, 08:42 AM
Ah, I did try pinging the IP as well - that didnt work either.

I looked at the DNS records for webpub, and saw ns1 was ns1.jalichosting.com[207.44.156.187], so tried that (name & IP) - again no response. I assume jalic.com is on this NS as well? Maybe something is up with it? Tried 4discountshopping, but I see that is on a different NS, and that worked fine.

Chris
06-11-2005, 12:56 PM
Nope, jalic.com is different, though it is on my oldest server (this is my 2nd oldest). Maybe something is wrong with that branch of EV1's datacenter.

Todd W
06-11-2005, 05:23 PM
I`ve had the same problem Chris described with my ISP (Comcast) and got fed up with it not working all the time or the first time. I defined my own DNS in the config section for my network card (right click TCP/IP --> properties). I set them to my webserver so now it's always up to date and working... and if it's not working I know instnatly the servers down (sometimes faster than 2 minute monitoring!). This also allows me to work on websites on my server before the DNS propegates through the itnernet and to my ISP for new domains :)

-Todd

Chris
06-12-2005, 05:49 AM
Heh, comcast is my ISP too.