PDA

View Full Version : Laptops.

Generalissimo
06-07-2005, 08:44 AM
I put AC power on my laptop socket, turned it on, but it didn't start. Tryed again and again and wouldn't. Left it 30 minutes and it did it straight away. Anomoly or is this to do with charging the battery or something?

Westech
06-07-2005, 08:53 AM
What kind of laptop is it? It should always start when the power is plugged in, even if the battery is drained. Did it make any noise or did the lights come on at all when you tried, or was it like it was getting no power at all?

MarkB
06-07-2005, 08:59 AM
Might be the adaptor, best case scenario :)

Was the plug turned on at the wall?;)

aj8
06-07-2005, 09:53 AM
Is it a dell ?

My 8600 occasionally fails to turn on. I keep meaning to call out their service people and get it fixed! Symptoms are :- press power button, some green LEDs turn on, but the HDD doesn't power up. After a few secs, the LEDs go out. (repeat until it turns on). Sometimes 3-4 repeats necessary BUT it's reliable in that I know to expect it, and it always turns on eventually.

Sometimes it goes first time!

A.

Generalissimo
06-07-2005, 10:06 AM
Is it a dell ?

My 8600 occasionally fails to turn on. I keep meaning to call out their service people and get it fixed! Symptoms are :- press power button, some green LEDs turn on, but the HDD doesn't power up. After a few secs, the LEDs go out. (repeat until it turns on). Sometimes 3-4 repeats necessary BUT it's reliable in that I know to expect it, and it always turns on eventually.

Sometimes it goes first time!

A.

It is a dell inspiron 6000, and thats the symptons, but it takes A HELL OF A LOT to get it to work, I had to click for 30 minutes, and after an hour of using it it suddenly turns off! I called the tech support after first time and they said it's static on the motherboard caused by hybernation.

Chris
06-07-2005, 10:48 AM
hibernation has, IMO, never been reliable on any system I've had, I don't use it.

Generalissimo
06-07-2005, 10:54 AM
I can't get it to load back up. I called back and he had me take apart the system and try at each stage then put back, but it didn't even light up, a technician is been sent to fix it.

Todd W
06-07-2005, 04:51 PM
Hibernation is the worst I`ve fixed many computers where the problem was simply hibernation not working properly..

aj8
06-08-2005, 06:30 AM
Ok yes static buildup was the cause I heard too. The real solution is to replace the motherboard which is no doubt what your Dell engineer will do. Mine has been tolerable so I just haven't bothered. Saying that I do have a 3 year onsite warranty so I guess maybe the time is nigh....

A.

Generalissimo
06-08-2005, 08:38 AM
I haven't been able to turn mine on at all now, so I've really gotta get it done.

Blue Cat Buxton
06-08-2005, 10:09 AM
When is the engineer due ?

Its not good for a new laptop - is this the one you got a few days ago?

Generalissimo
06-08-2005, 11:13 AM
Yes.

Due tommorrow, at what time I don't know, I may have to stay home from school.