PDA

View Full Version : New Community Management

asphalt
06-06-2005, 11:21 AM
When starting a new community and there are only a few post per week, how does everyone handle replying. Do you reply to every message so it is answered and users feel like there is some activity. That is what I usually do, but I hate it when my account is the last poster in every thread and forum category. Sometimes I feel like I am being to over bearing.

Any suggestions on how to handle.
Thanks
James

r2d2
06-06-2005, 12:56 PM
I think a few of the guys setup several accounts they can answer with to get around this problem. You could also ask, and answer your own questions to make the forum appear busier.

tony
06-06-2005, 01:06 PM
i know what you mean im in the same position i reply to some of them ut not all just so it doesnt look like its just me but i dont have the time to set up several accounts and log in and out etc

asphalt
06-06-2005, 01:13 PM
r2d2, Yeah I have thought about the multiple account thing, but I think that looks shady, and if it ever got out it seems like it could be very detrimental to the forum....

Tony what is the topic of your forum?

MarkB
06-06-2005, 01:50 PM
Having 'multiple personalities' is a perfect way to kickstart a forum; however, when it gets to you talking just to yourself in a thread, then perhaps you should be looking at other ways to spur conversation ;)

One great way: start threads which encourage responses.

If you have articles on your site, then be sure to always have a 'Discuss this article in our forum' link. And any announcements about the site should be posted in your forum as well, and encourage feedback.

A new community is always hard to kickstart. But it's definitely possible :)

asphalt
06-06-2005, 02:32 PM
I post every web update or website news that happens in the forum. It is slowly picking up. It seems tough to find that balance that will encourage others to follow up on questions.

aj8
06-08-2005, 07:41 AM
I too am having this problem with the forum www.4sme.co.uk.....

**appeal for people to start and respond to threads**

:o)

r2d2
06-08-2005, 09:45 AM
I too am having this problem with the forum www.4sme.co.uk.....

Yes, I see - 1 post in total!

Maybe some more content would help? I get 404 for lots of your sections at the top.

James
06-08-2005, 05:51 PM
Just say something about religion, Terry Shiavo, politics, or StarWars--things like that, which people get REALLY into (especially things which are none of their business like Terry Shiavo, they get the most into things like that).

aj8
06-09-2005, 02:47 AM
LOL!

R2D2 - I only launched the forum today, and already four people besides myself have signed up... Mostly cos I MSNed several self employed mates on my list and asked them to :o)

One thing - one of them has said he actually has a business problem at the moment and will post it. I (and hopefully others) will then respond.

It strikes me that this is a better way of fostering discussion than signing up as two people and talking to yourself. If you know people who can contribute or ask questions in the community you are starting, I would suggest it's better to do that.

James
06-09-2005, 07:52 AM
Yes but talking to yourself is easier, and can be some good fun.

chromate
06-09-2005, 03:47 PM
I think I would have to step in as a moderator to stop me from arguing with myself :) haha

MarkB
06-09-2005, 10:28 PM
My problem is I keep putting myself on my ignore list :p

asphalt
06-10-2005, 06:16 AM
Thats funny!