PDA

View Full Version : Interpreting stats

zeropaid
05-26-2005, 10:42 AM
What do you guys use for stats on your site?

Currently I use webtrends, but my logs are like 400mb a week and its a pain to download it from the site every week and then abandon my desktop for a day while it parses the log (okay its like an hour but its a long time for an addict like me). Our site is pretty large and has a lot of dynamic pages, so all webtrends gives me is a general view - useful but to an extent.

Are there any better solutions out there?

r2d2
05-26-2005, 10:52 AM
I use Advanced Web Statistics (awstats), but it is run on my hosting package, so I just look at the ready made stats by browsing to the web page. I dont have to download logs or anything.

Todd W
05-26-2005, 11:02 AM
I use Advanced Web Statistics (awstats), but it is run on my hosting package, so I just look at the ready made stats by browsing to the web page. I dont have to download logs or anything.

I use AWSTATS as well. On one of my servers I have urchin and I find it a nice alternative to AWSTATS but cost more $ to implement if it doesn't come with your hosting provider.

Mike
05-26-2005, 12:59 PM
I use awstats as well, I like it. The only bad thing about it is that the stats are sometimes delayed a bit, but I think that's to do with my host anyway.

Chris
05-26-2005, 03:17 PM
I use AXS mostly. I do not like log analyzers as I feel that programs that make their own logs are more accurate (server logs ofter contain extra information that inflates numbers).

See also: http://www.websitepublisher.net/article/traffic_analysis_primer/

pas
05-26-2005, 08:39 PM
I use awstats. Anything that uses tracking images for logging is horribly inaccurate.