PDA

View Full Version : What resources should i need?

RandyMc
05-20-2005, 10:38 PM
I recently applied for a job that required the A+ certification. I would like to follow the course but I am confused with the books I should purchase for the preparations. Are the MS Press books sufficient or I should also get some extra resources?

moonshield
05-21-2005, 07:47 AM
A+ certification is quite easy to get I hear, if you know anything about Hardware you don't really have to study. MS Press has nothing to do with A+, I don't know why they would publish a book. MS has MSCE.

Westech
05-21-2005, 01:53 PM
I would get a book and study. The price of a study guide is small compared to the price of a failed exam, and it will give you a good idea of what kinds of things will be on the test. The "Exam Cram" series are good for the Microsoft tests, and probably for A+ as well.

I passed the A+ test years ago (I'm A+ certified on DOS/Windows 3.1 :) ) I'm sure it's changed some since then, but I remember that there was a lot of memorization needed of interrupt numbers, port addresses (hex port address of com1, com2, etc.) and things like that. Also, learn what acronyms stand for (IDE, VGA, etc.)

The test was relatively easy for someone used to working with PC hardware/software, but the number memorization can surprise you since most people just look that up if they need it and don't bother trying to memorize it.

Good luck!