PDA

View Full Version : Netscape 8

MarkB
05-19-2005, 06:13 AM
Just downloaded and installed - and using right now! It seems quite cool, and displays pages much the way Firefox does. Tabs, too.

Has anyone else used it? I haven't used Netscape in years, so I've no idea if the features it has now are stock Netscape, or what :)

Generalissimo
05-19-2005, 08:15 AM
I used to use it so I could log onto the same site twice and talk to myself, to make forums seem busier, etc.

MarkB
05-19-2005, 08:59 AM
I'm talking about the latest version of Netscape, not just Netscape itself.

Have you downloaded it? If so, what do you think of it?

James
05-19-2005, 02:32 PM
You know, I think that Netscape may just be closer related to Firefox than you may think. In fact, I think that AOL gave Firefox the Gecko engine, and then built Netscape off of Firefox. Check out the options and you'll see how similar they are. Netscape is just a little more like the Mozilla browser, because it's more of a suite.

Chris
05-19-2005, 07:45 PM
AOL bought netscape. AOL realized netscape wasn't commercially viable. AOL created Mozilla nonprofit to look after the browser. Mozilla nonprofit became firefox. AOL keeps the netscape name for marketing.

Todd W
05-19-2005, 09:41 PM
I don't think I`ll be trading in my firefox browser... <3

MarkB
05-20-2005, 12:59 AM
It's based on both Firefox and IE (with Netscape having a license to use the IE engine for free for the next 6 years or something, due to winning a lawsuit against Microsoft. Summat like that). I like it, although like Todd I won't be trading in Firefox. But it's nice to see another quality browser, even if it IS more of the same. Diversity is a good thing for any marketplace.