PDA

View Full Version : Website Traffic Ceiling

asphalt
05-09-2005, 03:19 PM
I saw where chris mentioned on another forum that websites have a traffic ceiling, and you should promote and push them until you feel you have reached that ceiling. Anyone know how one would determine, traffic/market size. Lets say the health and fitness ?

AndyH
05-09-2005, 09:00 PM
Not exactly answering your question, but there is also a ceiling on traffic from hardware. Although it can be bumped up and up by deplying different solutions.

James
05-09-2005, 10:14 PM
Whatever you can imagine/10,000 :P

Blue Cat Buxton
05-10-2005, 02:52 AM
James, you cynic, you

You can get an estimate from the wordtracker / overture daily search totals for search terms.

Also factor in your search engine position on major terms - If you are no 1 on all the engines for your major terms then you have probably reached that ceiling (without adding more content with different terms)

And then consider the energy required to further promote from where your current site is compared with the energy involved in promoting or starting another / site and go for the one with the best upside

That's what I would do, anyway

r2d2
05-10-2005, 03:43 AM
I would imagine the 80/20 rule applies roughly to site traffic. I.e. you can get 80% of the sites 'traffic ceiling' with 20% of the work. That final 20% of traffic could take 80% of the effort. As Blue Cat says, its best to compare this with what else you could achieve with that effort.

asphalt
05-10-2005, 07:17 AM
Well I guess all I know is I have a long ways to go :) I haven't even scratched the surface on this whole website building thing.. Keywords, Keyword Density, SEO, Inbound Links, Google etc, all of that stuff brings no enjoyment for me sometimes I feel overwhelmed ..lol , I guess I will just continue to build and see what happens. Guess I will never have the incomes that guys like chris have ;).

By the way thanks for all of your responses. I need to start trageting specific keywords I guess to really see some good results.

James
05-10-2005, 07:53 AM
Keywords, Keyword Density, SEO, Inbound Links
Actually, all that stuff is SEO ;)

Keep your chin up, though.

I hate it when I unintentionally rhyme....

r2d2
05-10-2005, 09:26 AM
Guess I will never have the incomes that guys like chris have ;).

We were all new to the game at some point. The student should surpass his teacher too :)

I hate it when I unintentionally rhyme....

Its not that bad.

Try not to get too mad. ;)

asphalt
05-10-2005, 10:13 AM
We can only hope... No it is fun actually, a lot of learning. I now make about $1.50 a day (adsense) yippee... a little money is better than none.