PDA

View Full Version : Editorial Quality of Websites

CBR
10-07-2003, 12:38 PM
I am curious about the editorial quality of websites. I see so many with blatant errors in spelling, punctuation, grammar, capitalization, etc. Do website managers, designers, etc., not use editors to ensure the correctness of the content?

A website presents a first impression of a company, business, or individual. Shouldn't those who design and manage them want to enhance their clients' image? This could be considered an added-value service.

As an editor with 20 years' experience, I wonder if I'm missing an opportunity here.

Comments welcome -- I want to know why those who build websites don't have that passion for excellence in their service.

Chris
10-07-2003, 01:50 PM
It has to do with cost, atleast in the case of small content sites.

Small content sites generally do not make much money so it simply is not worth it to put that much money into them.

CBR
10-07-2003, 05:07 PM
Perhaps the client would be willing to pay extra for this service. And these sloppy sites reflect on you, too.

Chris
10-07-2003, 05:15 PM
Well it seems you're talking about business sites, which aren't the same thing as content sites.

A business should probably have copywriting done, but again it is a question of cost. In this economy a small business is going to cut corners.

Most small business websites I see don't even have that great of a design, its like the neighborhood kid did it. Obviously its not that important to them.

Shawn
10-07-2003, 07:42 PM
CBR, just curious - where are you in South Carolina? I live in Charleston...

CBR
10-08-2003, 12:51 PM
Greenville. But I think I lived in Charleston in another life.

CBR
10-08-2003, 01:06 PM
Chris --

Questions for you...

I think we have differing definitions -- 1. To me, a website of any kind has content (words, information) that presents an impression of the site owner.
2. What does copyright have to do with editing?
3. You've misused the word "its" twice in your last response -- that leaves an impression.
The small business owners that I know who have websites with content are extremely embarrassed when they learn about the errors on their pages and want to have them corrected. And I help them with that.

Chris
10-08-2003, 01:30 PM
Heh, if you don't know what copywriting is I doubt you're an editor.

I misuse its or it's all the time as a form of protest, I think the rule is backwards and quite frankly don't abide by it. It's should equal ownership and its should equal it is. Thats my opinion and unless I'm trying to be perfect, such as in places other than an informal forum, I'll use the words as such.

Now as for website definitions, you aren't understanding what I am talking about. There are content sites and business sites. Content sites are usually run as a hobby and make pitiful amounts, for many $100 a month would be a dream. Business sites are websites that act as a representative of some business. A content website can be a business too, but the business IS the website. When I refer to a business website I'm talking about a site for a business that does more than just publish a site.

CBR
10-08-2003, 02:11 PM
Chris --

In your response to me posted at 7:15 pm 10/7/03, you used the word "copyrighting". I see that you have corrected the spelling in that response in just the last few minutes.

Yes, I know very well what both of these terms mean; they are very important to people in my line of work.

A business of whatever size that uses a website to sell its product or services contains content (words and information) to describe, advertise, provide contact information, etc., to those reading it. Huge databases (e.g., Factiva, Dialog, Nexis) use websites to hold content and search engines to hunt for specific information in thousands of publications at one time. Google is similar -- it contains many types of content (information) of interest to the user. Travel sites (airlines, lodging and dining establishments, entertainment venues) contain content that allows the user to make reservations, print articles and descriptions, etc.).

You believe what you want to, and I'll stick with what is standard meaning in my industry. This horse is dead.

Chris
10-08-2003, 02:39 PM
You just don't realize that editing services are a luxury that many cannot afford.

If your business is only making say $100,000 a year are you going to pay your employees a total of $500,000?

I don't think so.

You came in here probably fishing for work, you asked a question you probably didn't even care to here the answer to. Instead you took on the role of convincing me why editing is needed. I never said it wasn't needed, I never said it wasn't useful, what I did say is that people don't have it done because their websites do not make enough money to warrant the cost.

morkal
05-12-2015, 02:46 AM
Well it seems you're talking about business sites, which aren't the same thing as content sites.

A business should probably have copywriting done, but again it is a question of cost. In this economy a small business is going to cut corners.

If you’ve ever created a piece of content and wanted to back up the data that you reference, often times you will (or at least should) cite some trusted resources to support your content. In doing this you’re naturally linking to another website, Dadar to Shirdi Train (http://mumbailocaltraintimetable.net/dadar-to-shirdi-train.aspx) thus providing an editorial link.

These links are very common on authoritative sites as the writers and journalists putting together that content typically know and understand the importance of proper citation through placing editorial links where applicable.
http://mumbailocaltraintimetable.net