PDA

View Full Version : CSS, hmmm.. one more question

BeautifulMind
05-04-2005, 04:25 AM
I know I’m a little layman (Lay Lady :)), but I have a question. Why is CSS so important? Why sometimes at the end of the page u can see short link CSS or RSS. Is it just popular or such link definitely needed on every web site?

--
http://www.customresearchpapers.us/

Chris
05-04-2005, 06:37 AM
Those links are just people saying how their website uses CSS standards or has RSS Feeds. They are completely unnecessary and with the CSS one is really just a designer patting himself on the back.

ordinary_guy
05-04-2005, 10:26 PM
Just what I know about website made on CSS standards, it only makes page loading a little bit faster.

Just ignore it for the meantime.

James
05-05-2005, 07:57 AM
Just what I know about website made on CSS standards, it only makes page loading a little bit faster.

Just ignore it for the meantime.
Don't spread this filth.

No listening to this guy, it makes your page accessable, smaller and quicker-loading, printable without an external page that changes your layout, simple to change the look of, easier for search engines to crawl, makes the site a better for screenreaders, allows better search engine optimization because you're able to do things like choose whether your navigation or content comes first and header etcetera, it makes image-replacement easy (for better search enigne optimization), it makes mouseovers in images easier and quicker-loading, it makes you able to do things like have the mouseovers on links that changes their colors...

Hell there are too many advantages for me to list here http://www.google.ca/search?q=why+use+css

chromate
05-05-2005, 09:47 AM
Well, there's a difference between using CSS and standards compliant CSS. I think that was the main point.

To be honest, I haven't bothered too much trying to comply with the "standards" stuff at all. In fact, my code is pretty bad :)

James
05-05-2005, 08:18 PM
Yeah, but hey, any CSS is good CSS.
I can't stand tables any more.

BeautifulMind
05-05-2005, 10:48 PM
So do u guys agree with those who say CSS technology is our future? Common standard, code of rules for all programmers?

Will it solve a problem of comparability of different browsers?

r2d2
05-06-2005, 03:08 AM
Will it solve a problem of comparability of different browsers?

That is something it wont do at the moment - mainly due to IE not implementing CSS properly. I have gone back to using tables in places because I cant be bothered with all the work arounds to get firefox and IE looking the same.

It is definetly the future though, worth investing time finding out about it.

wrigh_g
07-14-2005, 08:57 AM
CSS is already an industry standard, and many web professionals prefer CSS to using tables. The main problem with CSS at the moment is that it is a pain to get the site to look the same in many different browsers (for example IE and Firefox).

I prefer using it over tables, but there are still some situations which using tables come in a lot more easyer. These occasions are rare, but still :/. I personally think that it is the future, especially with the next generation of browsers which actually support it better (IE7 is on the horizon people :D, hopefully MS will get the support for CSS right).

moonshield
07-14-2005, 10:38 AM
yea, but its going to take so long for everyone to switch over to IE 7. People don't switch unless they are 'forced' to.

wrigh_g
07-14-2005, 11:44 AM
True, but i am sure Microsoft are already working on a strategy for that (looks over to longhorn and shrugs)

Pulse
08-10-2005, 04:11 AM
CSS is definately the way forward. I love it, it makes building and maintaining sites a breeze. Not to mention the increased versitility (ie. dashed borders, dynamic menus, wrapping txt, etc etc) all that you could not achieve with html. W3's Idea is that they are trying to seperate content from code.

But the browser compatibility does my f&^king head in! I too, have switched back to tables in so many occasions becuase it was too time consuming to make the site 100% browser compatible. Not only that, the CSS itself starts to look messy due to the array of hacks you have to add.

My advice, have 3 style sheets. 1 that uses all the properties that work in all browsers (mainly formatting). and 2 more for page layout. 1 for firefox, and 1 for ie. Then you just use PHP or JavaScript to check what browser they're using and load the appropriate stylesheet. It might seem llike alot of work, but it's easier than trying to get it to work with a single sheet (in my opinion)

James
08-10-2005, 04:21 AM
I don't have much of a problem making my pages work across browsers. Even IE5's box model hack can be done in with use of margins, rather than padding.