PDA

View Full Version : Virus Makers are using Incka.com Email

Generalissimo
05-03-2005, 12:17 PM
I've had loads of complaint emails from loads of companies regarding viruses sent using a mask of @incka.com email things. Is there any way I can stop virus makers doing this or is it impossible.

Blue Cat Buxton
05-03-2005, 12:23 PM
It is easy to fake the outgoing email address. You just have to refer the recipients of the spam to the headers, which I don't belive can be faked

MarkB
05-04-2005, 04:33 AM
Put a disclaimer on your site, as well.

chromate
05-04-2005, 09:49 AM
I've had this problem in the past. It sucks, but there's not a lot you can do about it.

Chris
05-04-2005, 11:16 AM
Do the emails look like this:

Your message

Subject: [WARNING: VIRUS REMOVED] Your email was blocked

was not delivered to:

bkmoss@floridatrend.com

because:

User bkmoss (bkmoss@floridatrend.com) not listed in Domino Directory

I just got about 50 of them to my literature site email address.

Generalissimo
05-04-2005, 12:42 PM
A few look like that, a few are obviously real emails, and loads look like auto messages like the one above and different. I haven't heard anything about a domino directory in any email thing though.

Jaffro
05-04-2005, 02:41 PM
Its virtually impossible to get around this one. I looked into it a while back when i started getting emails from myself with attachments! Its all too easy for people to mask an email address and its a shame the email service hasnt been updated, has it ever been updated?!, to improve email security. The only guard against this sort of thing is common sense.

chromate
05-04-2005, 03:21 PM
The worst thing about it is, that people actually do believe the email is from you. When I was having problems with it, I had a pre-written email to reply to them with explaining that it wasn't from me and the address had been faked. As Blue Cat Buxton says, get them to look at the headers so they can see it wasn't from you.