PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion on really long domain names

emke
05-06-2003, 06:31 AM
I've found two domains with keywords that I want to rank good with search engines and one is a little shorter but it's still very hard someone would memorize it and be able to type it in again. The other domain is a lot longer but it has all the keywords in it that I want good placement for.

I wonder what domain to register, I'm leaning to the one that's longer with all the keywords. What do you think?

Chris
05-06-2003, 06:33 AM
http://www.websitepublisher.net/article/choosing_domain_name/

emke
05-06-2003, 06:48 AM
Exempel 1: Rays-Photography-Resource.com

Exempel 2: Rays-Cheap-Used-Digital-Camera-and-Photography-Resource.com

As ex 2 has more keywords and ex 1 is hard to remember anyway isn't it better to use ex 2?

Chris
05-06-2003, 07:50 AM
Well more isn't always better.

If you want to focus on "photography resource" 1 is better.

If you want to focus on both digital cameras and photography I'd say make 2 sites, or make two site sections and so you'd get your keywords in your directory name.

emke
05-06-2003, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Chris
Well more isn't always better.

If you want to focus on "photography resource" 1 is better.

If you want to focus on both digital cameras and photography I'd say make 2 sites, or make two site sections and so you'd get your keywords in your directory name.

Well it's more like Cheap-Used-Digital-Camera-Reviews-Tips.com ;)

Nothing to do with photo resource, it was just a bad example

iKwak
09-29-2003, 08:22 PM
I stay away from long domain names.
But if the price (domain) is right... :)

s2kinteg916
11-17-2003, 05:00 PM
i would stay awayfrom long domains too unless you really want to hit all the keywords for se's

2 keywords are max for me

chromate
11-17-2003, 05:12 PM
Yeah, I try and limit it to two. Three maximum, but they would have to be short words.

snoopers
11-25-2003, 04:22 PM
9 words (with hyphens) - yikes!

Unless your visitor bookmarks the page, it'll be hard to get return traffic because they URL is so difficult and such a hassle to type in.

It also makes the website look SEO spammish.

Mike
11-26-2003, 09:23 AM
I agree. It makes the SEO look real spammish.

I would say two hyphens in a domain is the absolute max, and sometimes that's pushing it.

DealerPartner
11-18-2004, 10:53 AM
what do you guys think of a 2 word .ws and .cc domain name. i currently own auto-loans.cc & .ws . I am planning on building those 2 sites in the next few weeks. Do you think they are good domains to help those sites rank well for those keywords?

Mike
11-18-2004, 11:47 AM
I own a .ws and traffic wise it is performing quite well considering the time it has been up. You've got to ask yourself the question, am I going to get most traffic from search engines or word of mouth.

Shawn
11-18-2004, 12:25 PM
Two words and below people seem to remember quite easily. Three and above and the ability to remember the domain drops considerably.