PDA

View Full Version : Changing Domain Names

asphalt
04-22-2005, 11:03 AM
What is everyone's thought on changing a domain name? I have strengthnow.com and was thinking about changing it too commonsensefitness.org?

Is this a bad idea or good idea. I want the site to be focused on more of a common sense approach to fitness. I don't have a lot of links pointing to my site, I only have about 300 users a day. I am still at the beginning of building up the site so is now the time? Would it make any difference? the .net and .com for commonsensefitness have already been taken.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I read what Chris said about choosing a domain and I obviously did what he would not recommend. So........

asphalt
04-22-2005, 11:04 AM
One other point I have been waiting on a DMOZ listing for nearly a year now? Not sure if that would mess everything up or not? I just searched resource-zone and it doesn't look like this will be a problem

This really comes down to branding, and search engines.

Chris
04-22-2005, 12:57 PM
Things to consider:

1. Do you wish to target the word "fitness" instead of "strenght"

2. Is there nothing better than Common Sense Fitness (try going for a 2 word phrase instead of 3 words).

3. You will take a traffic hit when you do this, can you live with that?

asphalt
04-22-2005, 01:01 PM
Ok let me ask this... Can you see any real long term benefit to changing to a name like commonsensefitness.net?

I can handle my traffic going down that is fine.

But I want people to get an idea what the site is about when they come there. Is that an important thing to do?

I would rather target a keyword like health or fitness....

Hmmm, I guess there are alot of decisions that go into something like this.

Thanks for taking the time