PDA

View Full Version : phpBB vs VBulletin.

widerstrong
04-11-2005, 05:22 PM
phpBB is free and VBulletin cost $$.

Hey Chris why did you choose VBulletin instead of phpBB.
I am thinking to set up a forum, just too many to choose.

is VBulletin fast , reliable and well functioning?

cheers.

James
04-11-2005, 05:53 PM
is VBulletin fast , reliable and well functioning?
Yes, yes yes. It's all-around better than phpBB.

widerstrong
04-11-2005, 06:01 PM
some example?

moonshield
04-11-2005, 07:48 PM
Administration. The Code is cleaner. I did a few tests and Vbulletin is a bit faster. I personally think it looks better too. I believe this is the wrong section for such a thread.

James
04-11-2005, 10:10 PM
The code is brilliant.

And it comes with the archives, which are easier for SEs to crawl and index.

MarkB
04-12-2005, 01:12 AM
The best benefit vBulletin offers is the administration interface. I've used PHPBB, and compared to vB it's a nightmare. And I've installed many copies of both - vBulletin will always win for me, hands down. It's the serious webmaster's choice of forum :p

Blue Cat Buxton
04-12-2005, 01:49 AM
Which is the better purchase option, leased or owned?

MarkB
04-12-2005, 02:39 AM
Well, if your site is something you KNOW will last for many years, get an owned license. That way you only need to pay extra each year if you wish to get the upgrades as they're released (this includes major new versions, as well).

If you want to run the site for a year first to see if it has staying power, get a Leased license, then you can judge for yourself after the first year whether you wish to continue.

Chris
04-12-2005, 12:55 PM
What really sold me was the backend, its so much better.

stymiee
04-12-2005, 04:50 PM
As phpBB user I have to admit the AdminCP sucks. However, the new version 3 (which should be out when my kids get out of college...I guess i should have them soon then) will have a greatly improved AdminCP as the phpBB team knows theirs currently sucks. It will also offer a lot of the functionality currently offered by VB. Once it comes out it will make the choice between the two difficult again for many. But for the "professional" website VB will still be the clear choice.

moonshield
04-12-2005, 06:39 PM
phpBB 3 looks like it will be awesome. Right now, VB is the choice. I agree with Stymiee.

MarkB
04-13-2005, 12:58 AM
Thing is, everyone is playing catch-up to vB instead of trying to get past vB. There's just not much innovation left to be found :(

Nintendo
04-13-2005, 12:52 PM
Real webmasters use vBulletin. Chepos use phpBB.

phpBB= low quality.
vBulletin= professional.

You get what you pay for. It's like asking what's better for web hosting, using Geocites, or having your own dedicated server!!