PDA

View Full Version : Anyone own Tivo?

Chris
03-15-2005, 03:04 PM
The stock that is. It makes up about 40% of my portfolio -- today it went up 75%. The largest single day jump I've ever had with a stock. It was down heavily before that though so it isn't all gravy, but still, my wealth on paper went up quite a bit today. :D

moonshield
03-15-2005, 03:22 PM
chris you are a genius. good idea on the Tivo. good to see someone making something in the stocks. how large is your portfolio, if you dont mind me asking.

chrispian
03-15-2005, 03:24 PM
I knew this would happen. Been telling people to buy Tivo stock for a while now. I was happy when they kicked out the old guy because he's the one that botched the comcast deal last time. Good news indeed. And with the developer network and other things, Tivo is in a good position to grow. I just wish I took my own advice and bought the stock when it was low! DOH!

http://www.pvrblog.com/pvr/2005/03/comcast_and_tiv.html

Westech
03-15-2005, 03:34 PM
!@$^!@$#^$!!! I should have listened to Chris before: http://www.websitepublisher.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2357

I considered it, then didn't do it. Story of my life. :)

Chris
03-15-2005, 03:41 PM
Tivo is in such a great position, and they have the patents to protect it.

Eventually the TV world will be divided into content providers and connection providers and they won't be the same thing.

Cable companies, phone companies, and satellite companies will be connection providers. They will provide Internet connections. Using your internet connection you will get TV/VOIP Phone Service/ and of course Internet connectivity.

Thats the future, all you need is a PC in the living room (which Tivo is).

Eventually you will order your programming not through your connection provider (ala Comcast) but through a content provider on the Internet or through a company like Tivo. You'll be able to pick channels ala carte and on demand.

I think that Tivo would be a ripe acquisition target for a company like MS. MS knows the digital living room is coming, they want to control it, but just like with PDAs, they didn't get there first and so they must compete with Tivo (Palm).

At it's heart Tivo is a software company, like MS, not really a hardware company. Eventually I see Tivo as being just an operating system for a media center PC. With an acquisition MS would get Tivo's brand name, image, and patents, and a jump start into the digital home with Tivo's 3 million subscribers.

It'd also make some sense for a content company to buy it. Time Warner, Disney, Sony. Sony would be good because they have content, they make hardware, and eventually they could integrate Tivo with Playstation (PS4 w/ Tivo). So they'd get all sorts of synergies.

Time Warner has a ton of content, and is a cable company so obviously there are near term synergies. How much would Time Warner love to sell HBO directly on demand to Tivo subscribers and cutout the middleman?

Disney (or NBC Universal for that matter) has alot of content so they could do the same thing as Time Warner -- use Tivo as a platform for delivering their content over the Internet.

All things considered, the future is bright.

Next top: Lucrative Echostar Settlement

Chris
03-15-2005, 03:43 PM
!@$^!@$#^$!!! I should have listened to Chris before: http://www.websitepublisher.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2357

I considered it, then didn't do it. Story of my life. :)

I actually have 4500 shares now. I almost bought 1000 more yesterday (when the stock was at $3.88), but I thought "enough tivo, diversify" and bought Hasbro & Activision instead...

James
03-15-2005, 11:23 PM
Diversification is good.

So's investing in banks and insurance companies.

AndyH
03-16-2005, 12:01 AM
How much does your portfolio go up in worth (as a percentage) per year?

Chris
03-16-2005, 06:15 AM
I don't really keep track of that. I guess I would say the average so far has been about 10%, but with Tivo being such a large part and having gone down alot it sucked that average down (some of my other stocks have gone up 60% in the last year, ATYT has gone up over 300% in the last 2). But with Tivo now doing better this year could be very good.

lz83ny
03-16-2005, 11:53 AM
Good luck to you Chris!

I ate the lotus
03-16-2005, 01:33 PM
Wouldn't investing in your business be better? I'm sure you could get far more than 10% return on, let's say, adverts for your sword site or more acquisitions of related content sites to get free advertising for it...

Chris
03-16-2005, 01:50 PM
The stock market is fairly liquid. I can get that cash out in 24 hours if I need it. You can't do that with a business asset.

I ate the lotus
03-17-2005, 12:13 AM
I suppose it is a good bank account...