PDA

View Full Version : CSS Books?

Mike
09-30-2003, 10:54 AM
Hi all,

Could somebody reccomend me a book based on CSS please? I know the basics, but would like to know a little more on designing without tables.

Although sitepoints book is called "designing without tables" or something, from what i've heard they don't concentrate that much on it.

Thanks a lot,
Mike:)

chromate
09-30-2003, 12:36 PM
After buying sitepoint's "build your own database driven website", I don't think I'd buy any books from them again. It didn't even have an index, which is just stupid considering the type of book it was. Though, that was the first edition - maybe the second one's better.

Have you looked at "Mastering the Language of Web Design" by Eric Meyer. It tackles CSS from a very practicle view point. Maybe not the best book though if you're specifically looking for one about designing without tables. Still a great book none the less.

Mike
09-30-2003, 01:09 PM
Thanks for your input Chromate:)

I have to say that I wasn't that impressed with edition one of the php book though. I seemed to learn a lot more from Wrox's Beginning PHP.

Best.Flash
10-26-2003, 09:54 AM
Was thinking about buying Sitepoints -

HTML Utopia: Designing Without Tables Using CSS

would love to hear some impartial views on this book :)

Mike
10-26-2003, 10:35 AM
I'm halfway through reading what chromate reccomended. In my opinion, you won't get much better unless your beginning CSS.

Vinnie
11-04-2003, 06:23 PM
Eric Meyer on CSS is a great book to learn from. It gives practical examples on converting table layouts to hybrid table/CSS layouts or full CSS layouts. It's not that expensive either; I think I picked it up for $35 at Barnes and Noble. :)

dolphin
11-05-2003, 02:09 AM
Mike, it may be a little bit expensive but you really cant go wrong with Project seven's CSS Transitions

http://www.projectseven.com/dpacks/cssmv1/transitions.htm

Dolphin

Mike
11-05-2003, 09:22 AM
It's ok thanks dolphin now, I'm happy with "Eric Meyer on CSS".

lo0ol
11-08-2003, 02:30 PM
I've read Eric Meyer on CSS aswell and am very pleased with it. If anyone else is looking for a CSS book, go with this one. It would help if you had a basic background of CSS and HTML, but you don't have to be very advanced in it. The book is set up in a way that the easier, more traditional table designs are in front, and the harder, more advanced and tableless designs are in back.