PDA

View Full Version : Link Exchange no effect on PR

minutesloaded
03-07-2005, 08:24 PM
Hi

i have about 4 backward links to my website www.minutesloaded.com , however when i search for backward links using google, I can't find any of these 4 links. Besides, it does not seem to increase my PR even though they are relevant links. My PR is still 1. The backward links are quite new ..about 2 weeks. Does link exchange really help you increase the PR?

thanks

James
03-07-2005, 09:37 PM
You can't see the internal PR--this is the one that really matters. Only Google employees (and I'm not sure how high up the chain they have to be) can see it.

What you can see, is the external PR. This is what you see on the toolbars, and on various websites that allow you to check PageRank. This is updated way less frequently than internal PR, and is often out-dated and not good to judge whether or not you should rank well with.

r2d2
03-08-2005, 01:32 AM
Also backlinks are only updated at infrequent intervals, and not all are shown anyway.

Joachim
03-08-2005, 02:43 AM
Just keep on getting links, don't bother with PR (imho it's not worth it).

Joachim

johnn
03-08-2005, 03:58 AM
It's so true about getting links. PR is almost dead. A site with pr4 might have more traffic than a site with PR 7.

moonshield
03-08-2005, 06:55 AM
post in forums, you will get a whole bunch of backlinks that way.

James
03-08-2005, 08:56 AM
Not as many as I'd like. I have a few thousand posts at one or two forums, and about 500-800 at around 5 or 10 forums.

Spiders don't crawl deeply enough for all of them to be indexed.

chromate
03-08-2005, 10:58 AM
PR is still very important. But links from good sites that will provide you with good traffic are extremely valuable. 100 backlinks that provide you with 10 uniques a day each, and you've got 1k uniques. Then if Google drops you, you've still got a nice flow of traffic. I learnt this the hard way recently :) Getting the good backlinks is sometimes hard, but it's worth it! Every little adds up, even if you only get a couple of uniques a day from a link.

However, SE traffic tends to me more targeted because people are hopefully actively searching for your site's content. Someone clicking on a link because it looks kinda interesting probably isn't so valuable.

The key is to focus on both :)

James
03-08-2005, 04:08 PM
I've got to find a way to track visitors between sites they're coming from and sites they're going to. That way I can see which visitors are the most profitable so I can focus on that method and watch the other one also flourish (usually, the more people go to your site and like it from search engines, the more inbound links you get from random sites, and more links from random sites you get, the better you do in SEs) while making the most money to keep me motivated on the way (not that that's the most important thing in running a site; it's just nice to have some cash)

paul
03-08-2005, 04:43 PM
I use hitslink.com. Expensive, but I find the info it provides to be very helpful