PDA

View Full Version : World of Warcraft

moonshield
03-06-2005, 05:56 PM
Does anyone play this game? It looks awesome, but I do not yet have time to play it :(

The New Guy
03-06-2005, 07:21 PM
After spending way to much time on EQ back in the day I am wary of playing MMORPG's.

Cutter
03-06-2005, 08:52 PM
You definately need to be careful. World of Warcraft is just as addicting as EverQuest.

I played the World of Warcraft stress test and that was enough for me. Quite honestly, I wasn't very impressed. Perhaps the huge anticipation building up to it through me off.

On the other hand I really like Guild Wars (http://www.counterfrag.com/x-guild-wars-weekend.htm). Its a MMORPG but there are some very big differences from games like EQ and WoW. In fact, Guild Wars was actually created by ex-Blizzard employees. I've dubbed it "the real" World of Warcraft.

MarkB
03-06-2005, 11:28 PM
I very almost bought WoW yesterday. But then I thought, do I really want to pay money each month to play against other people who'll take it far too seriously, won't think twice about cheating, and will basically make my gametime (as a hopeless gamer) miserable?

I decided I may as well just play a MUD and let my imagination be my video card :p

So I bought Battle for Middle Earth and the Medieval: Total War + Expansion set pack instead. This way I can die by myself :p

Blue Cat Buxton
03-07-2005, 04:28 AM
Mark, youll never get those other 47 sites finished now!

Joachim
03-07-2005, 04:53 AM
The last time I played something like that was Hellbreath and by far I swear
never to touch something like that again.

Took way to much of my time, although back then I still had time ;)

James
03-07-2005, 09:02 AM
I tried playing Final Fantasy XI for a while. Just no fun, though.
I don't understand how someone could get addicted to it.

How similar is WoW to FFXI?

Westech
03-07-2005, 11:33 AM
Runescape got ahold of me for a while. I've been much more productive since I kicked that habit!

moonshield
03-07-2005, 02:09 PM
i dont know how it compares to any other games, but when I saw WoW at my friends house it was just like that, wow. The game is extremely deep, I could waste many an hour on that game :) but I wont.

peach
01-04-2006, 04:58 PM
same here, I have quiete some mates get addicted to MM.. games, but after being dragged into Lineage2 for a month or two I never touched one again.
I was forced to install l2 yesterday because I promised it to my brother but I think I can limit myself to just watching him play.
I don't really like WoW by the way, the other MM.. games I haven't watched closely.

Westech
01-05-2006, 07:47 AM
I've been able to limit myself to just playing the console-based (single player) Final Fantasy games whenever a new one comes out, and so far that's been enough to feed my RPG addiction. They keep me hooked for a month or two and then I finish the game and it loses it's hold over me.

New FF games come out pretty infrequently, so this works well.

James
01-05-2006, 08:14 AM
Westech, for what console?

I'm thinking of getting an Xbox 360 when I earn a bit more from AdSense, as it's looking very promising: Condemned, Perfect Dark Zero, Call of Duty 2, DOA4 (titles I've played thus far), Gears of War, Halo 3 (and yes, I actually enjoyed Halo 2) etc. The console needs some work though; it's a little rough around the edges at the moment for the Xbox Live service, and there are issues like Perfect Dark Zero having a rushed launch and doing away with some fantastic features which would have made it twice or three times as good, and Call of Duty 2's corrupting game saves.

What's everyone elses opinion on the 360?

MarkB
01-05-2006, 11:31 AM
I've only played an instore 360 briefly (Project Gotham Racing), and it was sweeeeeeeeet.

Helped it was hooked up to a HD tv, too :)

Westech
01-05-2006, 11:51 AM
I haven't tried the 360, but I've heard that it's pretty buggy. I always thought the PS1 and PS2 were pretty solid, so I'm holding out for the Playstation 3. I've told myself (ok, my wife told me) I'm not allowed to buy it until I graduate, so that I actually WILL graduate. :)

r2d2
01-05-2006, 12:22 PM
I used to play CS online at uni, and it kind of helped in me now doing to well. Now I just don't play online games anymore - far too easy to waste huge amounts of time.

Can't wait till I'm 'rich' though, and can play all the time with the latest hardware :)

James
01-05-2006, 01:09 PM
Wow, Westech; You're actually the first person I've seen that's anticipating the PS3. Everyone else has been going for Xbox 360 and Nintendo Revolution.

I've found that the Xbox 360 hasn't been terribly buggy (though I've heard things about failed consoles, the rate is actually very low, but those with failed consoles are *****ing loudly); however, I feel that they should have included a small hard drive standard (like 100mb or something) and they should have probably worked at getting more launch titles.

moonshield
01-05-2006, 01:12 PM
Yea, I bought one of those Xbox 360's. It has been great, they have really improved the whole system. The graphics are great and it has been very stable. Only one crash in hours of gameplay.

Being able to play in 1080i is nice as well ;)

Westech
01-05-2006, 03:15 PM
Can't wait till I'm 'rich' though, and can play all the time with the latest hardware :)

If it makes you feel any better, the last game console I owned was the 8-bit original Nintendo Entertainment System (NES). The PS1 and PS2 were both owned by my roommates in college.

I expect it'll be quite a jump from the NES to the PS3. :)

Kyle
01-15-2006, 02:55 PM
WoW is amazing. I've been playing it since day 1.
Started making alliance characters, have a level 60 paladin and hunter.

Recently started playing horde. Shamans are quite fun after experiencing the paladin.