PDA

View Full Version : Backup?

Joachim
02-22-2005, 03:49 PM
What are you guys using for backup ?

I mean locally at your office not your servers.

So far i've been doing a 3-way copy on the 3 disk in my linux box, but
somehow I'm not to happy with it. I've been thinking about getting one
of those linksys NAS devices but i'm not convinced (yet?).

Anyone using NAS already?

Nintendo
02-22-2005, 05:05 PM
Use DVDs that you can re-write on over and over and over and over and.... They got gigs of space.

James
02-22-2005, 09:13 PM
Use DVDs that you can re-write on over and over and over and over and....
It's much easier to call them DVD-RWs....

DVD burners are cheap, and a good investment for something like this; however, this can be an expensive choice because of all the disks.

Nintendo
02-23-2005, 02:06 AM
For 4.7 or 9.4 Gigs you don't need very many, under $15.00 each!!! Get two and just erase one when the other one has the newest back-up and you want to RE-WRITE a back-up on it again. Now if you're Google, you'll need something much bigger than that!!!

MarkB
02-23-2005, 06:10 AM
I agree!!!

I don't backup at home, although now I have my new beasty machine I will (since this one was a DVD burner).

Here at the office, we have 3 inhouse servers which backup to a dedicated, standalone server once a night. Also tape/disk backups of extremely crucial stuff (which is all well above my level of understanding!). As long as the net and my PC work when I get in, in the morning, I'm happy!

topcat
02-23-2005, 07:34 AM
Yea, backup....good idea....

probably should get onto that really :eek:

James
02-23-2005, 08:54 AM
Nintendo!! It's Always Better To Have Multiple Backups!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

Chris
02-23-2005, 09:28 AM
At home I have a maxtor one touch external hardrive (like 250 gb). Don't use it that much though.

aj8
02-23-2005, 10:13 AM
For dedicated servers, well worth investigating RSync. You can setup a cron job to synchronise one server's filesystem with another. The beauty is, it only copies over the changes, which means your bandwidth allocations are not badly hit, yet you end up with a perfect up to date copy all the time...

Just a thought, as I know some of you have dedicated boxes...

A.

MarkB
02-23-2005, 12:00 PM
I have nightly backups to a second hard drive (which is unmounted/remounted each time), but a filesystem backup sounds like a fine idea as well.

moonshield
02-23-2005, 02:00 PM
Nintendo!! It's Always Better To Have Multiple Backups!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

lol

Yea, I have had many a back up cd end up a coaster.

pas
02-23-2005, 03:34 PM
Extra hard drive and rsync.

James
02-23-2005, 05:56 PM
Yea, I have had many a back up cd end up a coaster.
Heh, me too. Along with throwing them at people like frisbies, losing them (this is a thing I do all too often...), and dropping them on the floor and rolling over them with my chair (or having them fall up against the wall at an angle and stepped on them). But that's mostly CDs in general, and backups of my home computer.

Joachim
02-24-2005, 02:59 AM
I think i'm going to buy one of those external DVD writers for the time being.
I will have to do some research first to see if I can hook it up
to my linux box and automate the backups somewhat but I don't think that
will be a problem.

aj8
02-24-2005, 09:38 AM
You want a backup strategy to 'just happen'. If there is any element of human intervention it won't always happen. Guaranteed. Whereas if you just have a nightly cron to sync a filesystem to several places, it definitely will!

A.

Blue Cat Buxton
02-24-2005, 10:00 AM
You want a backup strategy to 'just happen'. If there is any element of human intervention it won't always happen. Guaranteed. Whereas if you just have a nightly cron to sync a filesystem to several places, it definitely will!

A.

and of course the time it doesnt happen is when you need to restore from a backup!

It is also sensible to check that routine backups are working and you can restore from them. It is no use thinking all your hard data is being regularly backed up to find that the cd/tape/backup directory or whatever is corrupted!

Joachim
02-24-2005, 01:24 PM
A.

That's why I am going to hook it up to my linux box ;)
But, point well taken.

Joachim

r2d2
02-26-2005, 04:39 PM
Extra HD in system and handy backup (http://www.handybackup.com/) running nightly. All automated, the only way for backups.

Joachim
03-02-2005, 02:05 PM
Oh dear, right now it looks like i'm going to end up with a new computer :D

Sometimes I can get a little carried away... but ah well, I need to make some expenses anyway.