PDA

View Full Version : register the website over and over?

Johan H
09-27-2003, 06:52 PM
There is a big SEO company here in sweden that i suspect that they use some kind of software to register clients websites too search engines....

They claim that they submit to 340k different search engines!
ohh, that includes linkwebsites.

Anyway, on there FAQ they say that you should use multiply domains if you have different language.

For example, if have a company for selling phones...
and i have phone.com i should have that in english and the swedish version would be phone.se, i mean,
that for sure aint good?

isnt it better to keep it all on phone.com and have different flags for each language and link phone.se to phone.comīs swedish section.

Also they claim this;
some search engine just index your startpage, they dont index yourdomain.com/contact_us.php

is that also true? does this apply to yahoo, lycos, altavista or any other big search engine?

Chris
09-27-2003, 07:51 PM
There aren't 340k search engines. There are 4 or 5, and they're owned by 3 companies.

Inktomi
AltaVista
AllTheWeb
(all owned by Yahoo)

Teoma
(owned by Ask.com

Google

Thats it for major search engines -- the rest just use the others.

Once you get to the next tier, minor search engines, there are maybe 10, but if you get in the major ones the minor ones will pick you up.

Multiple domains doesn't hurt -- plenty of big sites do it, Amazon.com for instance. Of course the method you describe works too.

By definition a search engine indexes more than your homepage -- directories on the other hand will only list what you submit.

skanxalot
09-28-2003, 10:11 AM
Where does MSN fall in that list, Chris?

Chris
09-28-2003, 10:57 AM
MSN is powered by LookSmart (a directory) and Inktomi.

iKwak
09-29-2003, 09:20 PM
If Looksmart indexes your site, will it appear on MSN?
Is quite difficult to get listed on MSN.

Chris
09-30-2003, 06:11 AM
Looksmart doesn't index. They are a directory and accept submissions. You can submit through Looksmart.com (and pay) or if your site is non-commercial (ad supported) you can submit through Zeal.com for free.