PDA

View Full Version : What on earth's wrong with Google counting links to your site?

peteowen
02-15-2005, 12:05 PM
Is there any reason Google has quite a few sites in their database that point to my site www.healthandfinesse.com, yet when I search Google for sites linking to me, it shows none!?

This is annoying me now.. does this mean Google doesn't think any are linking to me, ie. ZILCH link popularity......or what on earth's wrong?! :mad:

Cheers guys,

A very frustrated Pete.

chromate
02-15-2005, 12:36 PM
How old is your site? Google doesn't always show all backlinks, even if it knows you have them.

peteowen
02-15-2005, 01:17 PM
Around 2 weeks. Google has spidered/updated my site twice in that time, and it's added quite a lot of other sites pages that link back to mine.

It's really frustrating.. even a site I built over a year or two ago, according to Google, has no links to it.....but it does! :(

It shows plenty of sites that 'contain' my site address, but these sites also link to me.. yet it doesn't show it in 'sites that link'.

I simply don't understand.........

Westech
02-15-2005, 01:33 PM
From what I understand, Google only shows pages linking to you that are over PR 4.

moonshield
02-15-2005, 01:35 PM
i dont know 'bout that, because in some of my sites backlinks, they are from this forum and the pages they are on do not have pageranks of 4 or at least I do not believe they do.

peteowen
02-15-2005, 02:48 PM
Ah fantastic.. so really, obtaining back links that don't at LEAST have a PR of 4 is a waste of time?

Garghhhhh! :eek:

chrispian
02-15-2005, 02:53 PM
Ah fantastic.. so really, obtaining back links that don't at LEAST have a PR of 4 is a waste of time?

They still count, they just don't show them in the backlinks search.

cameron
02-15-2005, 02:54 PM

No. I think your first priority when getting links should be the traffic the link will generate, not the google PR it will generate, after all, the goal is really to get more traffic, and if the link itself does that, who cares about PR?

Also, I think Google factors in all links, no matter what PR they are. It just chooses to show certain ones when you look up backlinks.

Chris
02-15-2005, 03:06 PM
Google has been so unreliable you're better off doing your link searches at yahoo.

chromate
02-15-2005, 03:21 PM
It's true. Google's making no sense to me at the moment either.

BTW, Google doesn't only show backlinks that are PR4+ now. That was in the past.

ozgression
02-15-2005, 03:52 PM
Around 2 weeks. Google has spidered/updated my site twice in that time, and it's added quite a lot of other sites pages that link back to mine.

Give it time...

No, they still count.

r2d2
02-15-2005, 04:01 PM
Dont think there has been a backlink update for Google in the last two weeks, so dont think they would show. Even if there had been though they may not show up as has been said.

But dont worry, all links help. (Apart from link exchange with link farms, which may bring penalty..)