PDA

View Full Version : wikipedia

thebillionaire
02-13-2005, 10:58 PM
I've heard that if you use wikipedia content, your site can get banned from google or has a low page ranking. Is this true?

r2d2
02-13-2005, 11:39 PM
I have wiki content on my cooking site and get over 100 visitors a day from Google.

MarkB
02-14-2005, 04:59 AM
[OT - can we please post threads in correct forums?]

[on topic:)] - Where did you hear this? Many sites use Wikipedia content without negative results, so it sounds like bunkum to me.

The New Guy
02-14-2005, 06:10 AM
Incka had a bas experiance with this ancient chinese site which used wikipedia, he concluded that google was lower his score because it was duplicate content.

moonshield
02-14-2005, 07:05 AM
it is not a way to get banned, remeber, google does not ban sites left and right. There is this mass hysteria that they do, but they don't.

r2d2
02-14-2005, 09:31 AM
Incka had a bas experiance with this ancient chinese site which used wikipedia, he concluded that google was lower his score because it was duplicate content.

So theres no actual evidence then... As Mark says, just more rubbish spread by the scare mongerers.

Mike
02-14-2005, 09:55 AM
I dont think its true at the moment, but in the long term, it could be best to just have unique content? Google will find a way to clamp down on duplicate content, I'm sure.

The New Guy
02-14-2005, 03:13 PM
Wikicontent could be a good place holder till you get real content I guess.

Which brings up another question, how does one do research for one's site. Go to the library?

r2d2
02-14-2005, 03:29 PM
Depends what the subject is really. Online is always useful source of info.

ozgression
02-14-2005, 05:12 PM
Duplicate content does not get you banned. Otherwise many of the major news websites would be banned as they all use alot of the same news articles and press releases etc.

James
02-14-2005, 08:41 PM
Wikicontent could be a good place holder till you get real content I guess.

Which brings up another question, how does one do research for one's site. Go to the library?
You should either start a new thread, or ask Chris if he'll split the thread.

If they banned seperate sites for having duplicate content, lyrics sites would be in the gutter--there are 115 million pages in Google's results. News sites are more likely to have unique (if only slightly) content.

ozgression
02-15-2005, 04:01 PM
News sites are more likely to have unique (if only slightly) content.

No, alot of news sites use syndicated news services like Reuters & AAP etc.

James
02-15-2005, 07:36 PM
A lot, but not all. All lyrics sites need the same lyrics--unless they're just making spelling mistakes.

ozgression
02-15-2005, 08:51 PM
Yes, I never mentioned lyrics sites at all. I am sure what that has to do with what I said. But anyway...

James
02-16-2005, 08:45 AM
I mentioned it as another example that I deemed to be considered a little more likely to be duplicate content than news which some sites will research several articles already released on it and write up their own articles, and will write articles of their own entirely. Now away from this bickering.

Just try not to have 30,000 pages copied 50 times on the same site and you should be fine ;)

moonshield
02-16-2005, 07:08 PM
the only thing I question is why this thread is in the marketplace.

I agree with tnt.

Peter T Davis
02-16-2005, 08:48 PM
Hehe, I guess someone better tell Google to get banning all those sites that use articles from AP and Reuters too, duplicate content you know.

moonshield
02-17-2005, 01:32 PM
they should ban google news....

Cutter
02-18-2005, 11:51 AM
ban might is a strong word. I suspect a ranking penalty is a lot more likely.

James
02-18-2005, 03:37 PM
In most cases if that penalty puts you past page 3, and is permanent, then it's just as good.

ozgression
02-18-2005, 04:22 PM
I mentioned it as another example that I deemed to be considered a little more likely to be duplicate content than news which some sites will research several articles already released on it and write up their own articles, and will write articles of their own entirely. Now away from this bickering.

Just try not to have 30,000 pages copied 50 times on the same site and you should be fine ;)

Yes, I understand that most lyrics sites have the same content, but my point is that there are also news sites that use the same content. They get articles from new agencies like reuters (they pay a fee to use their content/photos etc). Not research articles and write their own news, but use articles which are duplicates... that was my point. :)

So, there are pages on all the big news websites with content identical (word for word) to alot of other news sites. Yet, they aren't all banned. Another example is all the sites that syndicate Press Releases (word for word) and these pages aren't banned (some even show up very well in the serps).

IMHO, whilst duplicate content won't get you banned, unique content is always the way to go. I am sure there are heaps more successful unique content sites, than wikipedia content sites.

James
02-18-2005, 06:09 PM
ozgression, I haven't really been arguing. Just giving another example. I never said that every news site in the world had unique content.

IMHO, whilst duplicate content won't get you banned, unique content is always the way to go. I am sure there are heaps more successful unique content sites, than wikipedia content sites.

ozgression
02-18-2005, 06:26 PM
ozgression, I haven't really been arguing. Just giving another example. I never said that every news site in the world had unique content.

I know... I wasn't arguing either. I was summarizing my point. ;)

Cheers...

Nintendo
02-19-2005, 10:15 AM
Wikipedia clone site= Black listed. Look at these stats. (http://www.nedstatbasic.net/s?tab=1&link=1&id=2535344) It's a part wikipedia clone. The high day is 5,602 pageviews, and now it's lucky to get 100 a day.

moonshield
02-19-2005, 12:47 PM
that site is not the best example. There are other problems with it to. 1. Looks like spam, 2. looks like crap 3. Links to a lot of sites that have no relations. 4. other things. 100 visitors a day to such a site ain't too bad though.

I do not think the original question entailed doing a complete wikipedia clone.