PDA

View Full Version : 90 days?

thebillionaire
02-02-2005, 11:23 AM
I did some work for "Incka" and now when I need my pay, he is saying that he has 90 dyas to pay me. Is that allowed?

Westech
02-02-2005, 11:38 AM
That depends on your agreement with him. Judging by your post, I'm assuming that he didn't mention the 90 day delay to you before you delivered the product. Some business contracts specifically state that payment will not be due for 90 days. In my opinion, the generally accepted convention for trading goods and services online is that payment will be rendered as soon as the service is received unless stated otherwise beforehand.

Obviously I haven't heard incka's side of this yet, but if he really did take delivery of your work and then tell you he wasn't going to pay for 90 days, I don't think you'd be out of line to insist that he not use your work product until you receive payment.

incka
02-02-2005, 11:51 AM
The standard for any business is 90 days. Incka plans to pay today, however, not in 90 days. You should get an overdraft facility from the bank.

MarkB
02-02-2005, 12:22 PM
Payment is on YOUR terms, thebillionaire. You should have invoiced him, and stated the terms you wished to be paid by.

'The standard for any business is 90 days' - crap. My payment terms are 7 days to 14 days, depending on who I'm dealing with. Often it's 100% upfront.

GTech
02-02-2005, 12:44 PM
People die in 90 days. I wouldn't let *any* client by with 90 days. I used to own a small software company years ago and our business terms (with companies like Macromedia, Pacific Bell (before SBC), Compaq, etc) were Net 20. The bigger the company, the longer it took to get paid. A bank won't even allow you 90 days :)

Cool you guys worked it out!

incka
02-02-2005, 12:46 PM
Everyones ganging up on me here too, I quit.

MarkB
02-02-2005, 01:03 PM
Nobody's ganging up on you, but if you post remarks like that above you should expect people to shoot it down.

Emancipator
02-02-2005, 01:07 PM
This is not the way to question something. To me it looks like your beating on incka billionaire. im sure thats not your intent. I am sure you mean to just ask a valid question from the people here, but by posting it like you did it makes it look like you are trying to out him as a "bad payer"

My deal is simple. I get paid 100% up front if i dont know you. No questions asked or we talk no more. Ever. Period. But I am a bit of a stickler. I also wont work for you if your not a pleasent person :)

Also if I know you terms are worked out up front but very rarely will you get the final draft without paying me 100% of my fees.

I dont think this sort of thing should be aired in public. It just results in trouble. If it was an issue of him saying "I am not paying you, go away" Then I think you should post and warn everyone since we are a community and deserve to know.

Just my 2 cents, not taking a side here.

MarkB
02-02-2005, 01:20 PM
I agree with that :)

Emancipator
02-02-2005, 01:27 PM
i can see why.. most respectable people would :) As well most people offering contracts realize that if you want a good designer you are going to have to abide by some rules. If you as a designer dont have rules, hang up and quit now. You will slowly start with "let me pay you in 90 days" and get to the point of "let me pay you $100 instead of $500"

James
02-02-2005, 02:44 PM
Cmon, it's Incka. We know where he lives, if he doesn't pay (whois). And he seems respectable enough to pay for the job or he'll get his reputation torn to shreds--we can make sure of it if we feel like it'd do any good.

Mike
02-02-2005, 02:57 PM
I've been told that Sean has now paid :)

Also he says he has quit the forums...

Emancipator
02-02-2005, 03:06 PM
there must be more to it then just this post.. because quitting over this to me seems odd. But hey i guess I have left sites for less, like a coffee for example.... speaking of which im quitting to go get some coffee

but i will be back in 5-10minutes.

GTech
02-02-2005, 03:08 PM
Everyones ganging up on me here too, I quit.

Don't quit. People are expressing how "they" deal with payments and putting in their .02 cents worth (myself included). Take a look at the responses, they are along the lines of:

"i do it this way and my terms are this"

as opposed to:

"Man, Incka, you're a dawg."

I don't see it as an attack on you, but rather an opportunity for people to contribute to a discussion we all deal with. Seriously, I didn't think any more or less of you and I'm sure others don't either. I've seen 90 days net due out there before, I could easily see why someone might get that impression. Bigger companies often have these stipulations, but not smaller ones. Don't let THAT be the reason to leave a good forum!

But the real test is...will anyone remember or care six months from now? Nope, probably not even next week. Sometimes we all feel like we screw up, even when we don't. And if it won't matter six months down the road, don't sweat it!

Billyray
02-03-2005, 03:07 AM
Is 90 day payment too long for personal services work? Yes
Is it OK for thebillionaire to question this in this forum? Yes
Are they both valued members of this forum? Yes
Is this the friendliest most helpful webmaster forum around? Yes

But the real test is...will anyone remember or care six months from now? Nope, probably not even next week.

What's this post about? Already forgotten.

Cutter
02-03-2005, 11:42 AM
I'm not going to get involved in any personal disputes here, but just for reference here are a few of my comments.

Usually, in a business setting payment is due "net 30" or maybe "net 90." Meaning, of course, payment is due within that many days, however it is not uncommon for people to be late on payments. I know some people who have stopped doing business with businesses simply due to consistantly paying late. Also, many businesses will give a discount for payments which come early. For example, if the payment comes within 7 days there may be a 5% discount.

The reason this is done is due to cashflow. As a webmaster you may be familiar with Google paying 30 days after the end of the month's earning. Because of this, you may be able to say Google owes me $5000, but I won't get it for a month, however I need to hire someone to do X job for me. If you wait for the cash to come you may fall behind or lose out on future business.

I don't know what services/products were bought/sold here, however I would recommend that you request payment up front. Some choose half before the job is done, half after. This will help ensure that you only do jobs that you will get paid for besides avoiding conflicts like these.

For me, if the person has a good reputation I may accept full payment once my service is completed. However, if I don't know them I require the payment upfront.

Emancipator
02-03-2005, 03:40 PM
Is 90 day payment too long for personal services work? Yes
Is it OK for thebillionaire to question this in this forum? Yes
Are they both valued members of this forum? Yes
Is this the friendliest most helpful webmaster forum around? Yes

What's this post about? Already forgotten.

100% completely agree. I think it would have been more prudent to ask the question MINUS inckas name. To me it can be read as outting Incka. Which I hate.

moonshield
02-03-2005, 04:04 PM
yea I agree, Sean will be missed if he does not decide to come back. He knows what he is doing in regards to website publishing. Very skilled.

James
02-03-2005, 10:22 PM
Dunno why he'd quit such a valuable forum.
I've frequented many webmaster forums, so far this has been the most helpful, the friendliest and the forum I just like the best. I can't say I dislike any of the people that frequent it.

Billyray
02-04-2005, 12:46 AM
100% completely agree. I think it would have been more prudent to ask the question MINUS inckas name. To me it can be read as outting Incka. Which I hate.

Yeah I agree. I was thinking the same thing this morning.

moonshield
02-04-2005, 04:34 PM
Dunno why he'd quit such a valuable forum.
I've frequented many webmaster forums, so far this has been the most helpful, the friendliest and the forum I just like the best. I can't say I dislike any of the people that frequent it.

Oh, that is nice to hear :).

chromate
02-13-2005, 05:30 PM
I normally ask for 50% in advance and 50% on completion, if I don't know the client that well.

<chants> come back Sean - come back Sean - come back Sean ... </chants> haha

mini
02-13-2005, 06:08 PM
Incka, don't quit man, I'm not an active poster in this forum, but I read a lot and I like your postings!