PDA

View Full Version : Game-Review.ca Reviews Welcome

Emancipator
02-01-2005, 02:39 PM
Ok so Game-Reviews.ca. I spent about 2hours on the design and all of the code. Give or take 10mins. Open to comments.

It is by no means a genius masterpiece so go easy on me but for the 2hours i spent i am very pleased with it.

http://www.game-reviews.ca/

incka
02-01-2005, 03:01 PM
Looks reasonable. I just want to say movies online rocks.

Emancipator
02-01-2005, 03:04 PM
thanks that site is my baby, and no 2 hour project, Everyday i spent minimum an hour updating or changing or adding something.

Mike
02-01-2005, 03:08 PM
Really like that, similar to your movies site... :)

chromate
02-01-2005, 03:14 PM
Wow, I love the header! As you scroll down the page though, it looks a little dull considering the type of site. Just something to think about. But the site looks like it'll be great!

If you don't mind me asking, how much is your movie site generating in terms of revenue? I'm obviously not looking for figures. But in general considering the time you're putting in to it, is it paying off?

Emancipator
02-01-2005, 03:15 PM
hmm you are right Chromate, any suggestions? I didnt want to clutter it to much either. The image on the top right is random in case nobody noticed :P

Emancipator
02-01-2005, 03:16 PM
Really like that, similar to your movies site... :)

Thanks. The concept is similar, that is for sure. I took my movie database and did everything i did wrong, right on the game site.

chromate
02-01-2005, 03:19 PM
I edited my last comment, pls check :)

Ermmm... Perhaps give the background of the area around the main content box a colour instead of white.

Emancipator
02-01-2005, 03:26 PM
chromate, i will tinker with the idea of doing a different color.

As for the movie site i rather not discuss numbers in public. But you can ask me on MSN anytime :)

I probly invest about an hour a day into the site, and its by no means tedious work. The news all comes from my contacts at studios, writers, directors etc. My hour a day is spent answering emails, posting, etc. Not tough stuff.

James
02-01-2005, 03:29 PM
I honestly don't like the gradient in the header; but that's alright.

I really like your top navigation.

Kinda dislike the super-thick dashed borders.

Love your slogan

Add some more graphics, and colors, and you'll be set.
Use yellow more in the page; give it a color scheme.

Emancipator
02-01-2005, 03:33 PM
I honestly don't like the gradient in the header; but that's alright.

lol, yeah you either love it or hate it.

I really like your top navigation.

Wanted the text, wanted simple. So just went with some yellow text. Easy. 5second menu.

Kinda dislike the super-thick dashed borders.

Im with you, I kinda liked the thin, kinda liked the thicker, so i went with thicker. Especiallly since Fire Fox doesnt show em how i like it anyways :)

Love your slogan

Slogan is hilarious, a buddy of mine came up with 5 or 6.

Add some more graphics, and colors, and you'll be set. Use yellow more in the page; give it a color scheme.

I hate pages that are cram packed full of color, flashing gizmos, etc. (dont go looking at Moviesonline or your gonna really laugh now)

In all seriousness I agree, just not sure WHERE to do it without taking away from my clean formatted look. My "newspaper" approach.

r2d2
02-01-2005, 03:50 PM
Nice slogan too, but some pedantic people may prefer a comma in there? 'When the aliens get round to killing us, a joypad may just save you'

Very nice site though, should get a good amount of regular visitors, will you be updating the news personally, or is it some kind of feed from somewhere?

GTech
02-01-2005, 03:53 PM
Very impressive! I like the whole concept of the site. If you could alternate the table background for each entry, with whte/light gray, I think it would break it up soft enough for readability.

A+

Emancipator
02-01-2005, 03:55 PM
great idea Gtech, I do like that idea i will have to play with it a bit. And r2d2, grammar is not my forte, can you tell?

The news on the site is from my own writers.. I have my own rss feed that i supply to other sites.

James
02-02-2005, 12:13 AM
I hate pages that are cram packed full of color, flashing gizmos, etc. (dont go looking at Moviesonline or your gonna really laugh now)
Apologies: I didn't mean make this (http://www.wsu.edu/~sml/JESUS.HTM), I just meant that you need a splash of color; just add yellow into the layout more--I say this, cause you've already used it in the top navigation. Like maybe in headers, and stuff.

And you know "git" means an idiot, or contemptable person, right?

PS for borders just use [ border: 4px dashed #D4D0C8; ] --looking at your code, I can't figure it out, though; usually styles are just defined in the head of the document.

Emancipator
02-02-2005, 07:11 AM
Never heard that meaning before, it is slang for "get" and I am sure most gamers realize this. I am not sure what you mean about the borders.

This site is a very simple site and with all of the php and the actual graphics 2 hours. That is why there are no cssheets etc. I wanted to invest minimal time and still end up with a decent look.

I am not sure where YELLOW will work with my existing "newspaper" look other then in the header.

James
02-02-2005, 03:09 PM
I'd understand you wanting a game news site to look like a paper, but this?

Westech
02-02-2005, 03:15 PM
I dig it. It's nice, simple, clean, and easy to navigate.

moonshield
02-02-2005, 03:17 PM
personally I think its great, lots of good content. Its all original right?

Emancipator
02-02-2005, 03:20 PM
to each their own, i never expect to please everyone especially with such a simple design.

And poorman yes their is a writer for the site who does all the content. I have an RSS feed I am putting up for people who want to use it on their own gaming sites.

AndyH
02-02-2005, 03:49 PM
Looks good but it is missing that extra something that MoviesOnline.ca has.

But i'm sure you'll continue to work on it and is looking good so far.

James
02-02-2005, 04:53 PM
The general feel of it being a big, popular site, maybe?

Emancipator
02-02-2005, 08:20 PM
lol.... well if anyone can do the general feel of a BIG popular site after 2 hours I would love to see it.

Thanks for your comments AndyH I am still mucking with it and will do the same plan as I did with MoviesOnline.

paulfitz
02-02-2005, 10:04 PM
2 hours! Thats impressive :)
Information architecture its great - easy to read and understand.

When I think of gaming sites I do think of flashy graphics and so on - the demographic of gamers is mainly youngsters and they might be attracted to a flashy colourful site more-so than the newspaper approach in the current appearance?

You've got some great content, so it will make for a great site.

When I think of gaming sites a couple of standouts are -
http://www.gamespot.com/
http://www.gamearena.com.au/

Emancipator
02-03-2005, 07:23 AM
ive got a new version that I think i showed to westech which is much "flashier"

Paul you hit on exactly what my focus was. Good content, and easy to read. I do disagree with your demographics data though :)

The reason I did the site is because it fit into my movie site and takes advantage of a stream of traffic I already have. Thanks for your comments paul and those two sites are excellent examples for sure!

James
02-04-2005, 01:13 AM
Gamers are a huge range. It usually fades away when younger than 7 and older than 55 (My dad still plays Halo 2 on Xbox Live)

moonshield
02-04-2005, 04:28 PM
I don't play games, but then again I have no time. lol.

James
02-04-2005, 11:11 PM
No gamers have time for gaming; they just do it instead of stuff that is much more productive ;)

Emancipator
02-07-2005, 03:03 PM
i spend more time coding games then playing em. Just got a serious traffic spike on the site and dont have a proper stats program running but seems this might be part of it

http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=game+news&FORM=QBRE

moonshield
02-07-2005, 04:15 PM
coding games? For fun or for profit or for a day job? That is an awesome ranking for how long the site has been up.

Emancipator
02-07-2005, 08:14 PM
fun and profit.. have a MMPORG in php that im wrapping up. And yeah I am pleased with the ranking. wasnt expecting it for a few more months.