PDA

View Full Version : Wiki & GNU Free Documentation License

Todd W
01-30-2005, 11:53 AM
So a friend was telling me that when he searched for his site on a search engine a link came up on WIKI saying that he had a "fork/mirror" of the WIKI content, and that he failed to mention the GNU Free Documentation License. This brings up concern for us that use documents under the GNU Free Documentation License agreement.

My thoughts are that if it is under the license he should link to the GNU Free Documentation License however just because his content is the same that is on WIKI he should NOT have to link to the WIKI articles. His site was around before the particular WIKI data even became available. I think WIKI is taking it to far claiming they can force you to link by threatening to "turn you in" for using content that you did not provide credit for.

What does everyone think of the matter?
And just so it's cleared up I believe he should link to the GNU Free Documentation License if his documents are realy under that license.

moonshield
01-30-2005, 12:01 PM
Wiki? Wikipedia? or another Wiki? I dont understand what is happening here.

Mike
01-30-2005, 01:48 PM
Do you mean he submitted something to wiki then made a site with that content on?

r2d2
01-30-2005, 01:52 PM
His site was around before the data was available? What about the page with the wiki stuff on?

Wiki license says you should link to the license and the actual article. Its not hard, and I doubt they would mind you using a redirect if you wanted to.

If you use their content without complying with their rules, then you cant complain about them taking action.

Todd W
02-03-2005, 09:33 PM
Wikipedia is what I speak of sorry.

The content was on my FRIENDS site before Wikipedia, and now Wikipedia is claiming he copied them and they want links to their site. Just because Wikipedia has SIMILIAR content on the same subject what gives them to try to force you to link to them?

Todd W
02-03-2005, 09:35 PM
His site was around before the data was available? What about the page with the wiki stuff on?

Wiki license says you should link to the license and the actual article. Its not hard, and I doubt they would mind you using a redirect if you wanted to.

If you use their content without complying with their rules, then you cant complain about them taking action.

His site was available before Wikipedia had the content/similiar. His site basically compiled a bunch of info and presented it in an EASY formatt, we are not talking a encyclopedia here or any other type of documents that came from a book. Some of the info is purely made-up and other user submitted - but just because it's on his site and Wikipedia, Wikipedia thinks they should get a lINK!!

r2d2
02-04-2005, 04:05 AM
If it was done before Wikipedia had it, then perhaps email them and ask them to find out where the content came from.

moonshield
02-04-2005, 04:27 PM
Interesting, I understand now. Does not seem right does it. Don't they have enough backlinks already?

r2d2
02-05-2005, 04:20 AM
I'm sure Wikipedia dont just want the link for the value of the link, but its the rules, if they break them for him, they'll get everyone else expecting to not link too.

But we need to find out how the content got to the wiki.