PDA

View Full Version : getting forums to fit in with normal pages

tony
01-20-2005, 07:52 AM
Hi well basically i was wondering if its possible to implament my forums onto a page like the rest of my site?
My site will be just a basic 1 (to learn with) as you can see in the attachment the site will have content where the forums bit is on the image. but then i would want the forums to be where the content usually is.

I will be using phpbb2 (latest version) and possibly installing a couple of hacks

So does anyone know where there are tutorials for this or if possible could they explain?

Cheers
Tony

(also if i find this is too hard to do does anyone know how much it would cost to do something like this?)

Cheers
tony

MarkB
01-20-2005, 08:33 AM
Definitely possible; all you need do is wrap it in HTML (using the templates).

If you want to keep the external content updated, then you may need to further hack the files...

James
01-20-2005, 08:33 AM
Just a matter of editing the template...

tony
01-20-2005, 11:30 AM
lol riiiiiite
erm that just went woosh above my head, how much would it cost?
or if you know of any sites with tutorials even better

MarkB
01-20-2005, 11:48 AM
Check the PHPBB forums; no doubt someone has asked the same question.

James
01-20-2005, 02:58 PM
Good learning experience to do it on your own. I wouldn't suggest hiring someone.

tony
01-20-2005, 03:48 PM
i know yea thats why im trying to find a tutorial but i have working with code thats so big that i dont really understand, however i will have a look on the phpbb forums see what i can dig up

Tim
01-21-2005, 08:48 AM
Tony, I've been doing a serious customization of phpbb for our needs, so I guess I can answer any of your questions here.

Obviously, you need to create a new style for phpbb. To do this, you just take their default one, copy it as a new style and modify it (a little bit. You won't need much modifications to do smth simple).
I suggest you to read this doc (http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article.php?article_id=197) before taking the next step.

After you create a new style (looking exactly as the default one) you should edit the /style_folder/overall_header.tpl and overall_footer.tpl files with your fav html editor. Wrap the html code of your site around the html code you find in these 2 files. I hope you get what I mean.

If you face any problems - just post'em here and I'll try to help.