PDA

View Full Version : HELP! How to get rid of spyware

mini
01-19-2005, 07:03 PM
Hi guys,

My IE browser's been hijacked by spywares!!! It covers up the banner ads with google ads. How can I get rid of it. I used lavasoft adaware, Chris' spyware suggestion (spysweeper) and still did not get rid of it.

Pls notice, the banner ad - I attached file called Before.jpg. It's a banner ad but when I refreshed my browser, it changed to a google ads (After.jpg). I do not mind having cookies by websmasters because I like to support webmasters, however by invading real ads (having a layer) and try to invade my browser is the dirtiest thing a webmaster ever done to other webmasters who earn their income in a "legal" way.

You helps and opinions will be appreciated.

ps: I have no intention to use other browser other than IE because it's my work computer that's been affected.

thebillionaire
01-19-2005, 07:29 PM
adaware is probably good chice, but if that doesnt work, norton internet security works for me the best I had lots of problems with spyware before.

stymiee
01-19-2005, 08:04 PM
The new Microsoft anti-spyware tool is very good. Gets the deep down stuff the others miss.

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

GTech
01-19-2005, 08:33 PM
Kaspersky:

http://www.kaspersky.com/downloads

You can download a trial. If you do, just let it run over night. It's very thorough.

Chris
01-19-2005, 09:12 PM
Don't use Norton, they hurt legitimate webmasters.

Try also Spybot

lz83ny
01-19-2005, 09:21 PM
McAfee Antispyware should help.

James
01-20-2005, 08:42 AM
Spysubtract is good.

Westech
01-20-2005, 10:07 AM
You should also view the adsense code to find the publisher id they're using and forward it to google along with an explaination and those screenshots. I'm sure Google doesn't allow their publishers to do this!

moonshield
01-20-2005, 05:28 PM
adaware. no norton, as it is a waste of resources. If adaware does not work try the new microsoft one aforementioned.

thebillionaire
01-21-2005, 01:53 PM
why not norton chris?

moonshield
01-21-2005, 03:47 PM
norton, in my opinion, is worse then spyware. It hijacks your whole computer and it is hard to get rid of without redoing the computer.

Norton was fine back in Norton Utilities for dos but it is now too bloated to use.

James
01-21-2005, 04:21 PM
Completely agreed.

And I think it blocks ads, billionaire.

r2d2
01-22-2005, 08:33 AM
Apart from getting itself horribly embedded into your OS, I believe Norton now detects ads on pages and doesnt display them. You make content available for users in exchange for them looking at/clicking your ads. Norton lets them take without giving anything in exchange - effectively stealing.

Also had a reputation for creating 'problems' on your computer which it magically fixed - just so you feel it actually does something.