PDA

View Full Version : Two google ads on one page?

aj8
01-04-2005, 06:28 AM
I've scoured the Google Adsense help pages to see whether they allow more than one ad per page, and I cannot find any mention (perhaps I am missing the obvious).

I (as a test) added two ads to a page ; one at the top horizontal, and one up the side vertical, and the 2nd one did not appear. Do google have a rule that you aren't allowed 2 per page? Or am I making a silly mistake?

A.

Mike
01-04-2005, 08:42 AM
You are now allowed to have more than one google ad per page, I think.

incka
01-04-2005, 09:42 AM
I think you are allowed upto 3. I've got 2 on a few pages of one of my sites and I've seen a few major sites on normal-adsense (what we use) doing the same...

aj8
01-04-2005, 09:49 AM
thanks guys..

i wonder why my 2nd one isn't working then ......

out of interest, do you find it helpful to have 2 ads? do you obtain a higher click-thru rate?

incka
01-04-2005, 10:16 AM
CTR goes down (per ad) but up (per page). You make more money.

davesplace1
01-04-2005, 11:38 AM
For my sites I've found that it is not worth it to run more than one ad, but then every site is different. It can not hurt to test 2 ads per page.

aj8
01-04-2005, 02:09 PM
it was me being stupid, as well as google behaving (i guess) sensibly but differently..

horizontal banners display an ad of some kind for public service,

whereas it seems vertical ones do not - they just stay white (blank). The vertical banner was staying blank so it appeared to not be working!

Both seem fine now. Thanks indeedy.

Nintendo
01-04-2005, 04:19 PM
I make very little from banners at the bottom of the page. Rumor has it that banners in the middle of content makes a high CTR.

ozgression
01-04-2005, 04:38 PM
Yes, using squares mixed in with the content works best.

chrispian
01-04-2005, 04:39 PM
I make very little from banners at the bottom of the page. Rumor has it that banners in the middle of content makes a high CTR.

I've tested banners on my lit.org site at the top, left, right, middle, bottom and everywhere between. On Lit.org, the ones at the bottom made me 4-5 times as much as any other and it only shows 2 ads!

However, the same tests on WritingForums.com turned out that the best spot was at the top.

And most of the visitors visit both sites. Go figure.

moonshield
01-04-2005, 05:33 PM
unrelated but chrispian, that lit.org site is awesome.

eMEraLdwPn
01-04-2005, 07:13 PM
if you put two google ads on one page, does it register as 2 page impressions?

Chris
01-04-2005, 07:53 PM
Yes...........

chrispian
01-04-2005, 08:42 PM
unrelated but chrispian, that lit.org site is awesome.

Thanks! I'm planning some major upgrades to the site for 2005 too ;)

Yoda
01-10-2005, 09:50 AM
Don't be so quick to declare that you simply "make more money" by using more ads. It depends on the specifics; I have a site for whose topic the CPC is pretty high, and using more than one ad reduced it greatly, presumably because there were a limited number of ads for that particular topic, so that "cheaper" ads found their way on the site because more had to be displayed. I ended up making a bit less overall, and eventually switched back to one ad.

James
01-11-2005, 08:51 AM
On Lit.org, the ones at the bottom made me 4-5 times as much as any other and it only shows 2 ads!
It shows three if you include the skyscraper. And I agree that that site kicks (though I think the logo would be better with a regular period, but that's just personal taste.)

The amount of profit from ads also depends on the length of your page. To maximise profits, you should have more than one advertisement down the length of a page so that the visitor is confronted with more ads while they scroll. Of course, this is just from a profit perspective. Or should what I just said be argued against?

GeorgeB
01-22-2005, 10:27 PM
I still have the problem on Exchangetalk and vtctalk. I have them in above the thread/post display and below it right before the quick reply box. The one on the top always shows but the bottom one only shows about 20 to 30 % of the time. The rest of the time it's invisible.

Why??

ozgression
01-22-2005, 11:02 PM
It probably has no ads to display. ;)

McTomy
02-27-2005, 09:37 PM
The second ads will appear only when your page contain enough key words that googles rebot can identificate,maybe you could wait a week or two for the rebot to come again.
Google allows less than (or equal to)3 ads on one page.

James
02-28-2005, 08:55 AM
It's already been over a month since this thread was posted...