PDA

View Full Version : Business Plans for websites ....

mike639
09-22-2003, 09:10 AM
Hi everyone this is my first post and I have a pretty important question ;

I am starting up a new website very soon and am very serious about making it a big success and hopefully a good source of revenue for myself, the revenue isn't obviously the only reason I want to start it I am not init just for the money. I am struggling to decided whether or not I should write out a business plan , I don't need finacncing or anything from any third party companies but don't know whether I should write one anyway ?

Also if I do decide to write one out can anyone reccomend a site that has advice about how to setup a buisness plan for a website, I have many tools to try and generate one but these have all been unsuccessful.

I hope my main source of revenue will be from banner ads as I am not actually selling specific products....

Thanks for your help in advance.

Cloughie
09-22-2003, 09:35 AM
Thanks for your help in advance.

Hi my advice is to just simply get clear on a few things. What you are trying to achieve, how it will work, how revenue will come in and what you will do with that revenue. Don’t get caught up in big fancy business plans if you are not looking for investment. Just get going!

Basically do something in between. Have a plan, just don’t be too anal. Be prepared to change also.

Mike
09-22-2003, 10:49 AM
Yeah, if your just starting your site then there's no need for a business plan I would have thought. Perhaps when your making quite a large sum, but not much point at the moment IMHO.

Just do what Cloughie says to start with.

LiveTronix
09-25-2003, 04:49 PM
Make sure the plan is on PAPER. If you just keep it in your head it's not as good.

Also set some goals, x members by this date, etc.

iKwak
09-29-2003, 08:58 PM
Speaking of business plan, I need to make myself one. :o

snoopers
12-14-2003, 12:37 AM
The good thing about websites is that there aren't many costs. Just the domain name ($10/year) and webhosting ($30/year)

Mike
12-14-2003, 04:00 AM
Well, the webhosting depends on how busy the site is going to be. It could easily exceed $400 a year if it's a busy one.

s2kinteg916
04-29-2004, 10:51 PM
you can always factor in getting a dedicated server with your business plan..

incka
04-29-2004, 11:26 PM
I have a broad business plan, but no site specific ones...

Nick
04-29-2004, 11:45 PM
I think it depends on how large the site is.

If it's a simple eCommerce site that sells sports equipement, then no. However, if it's a web-based business to business soultion that operates is several markets and is comprised of thousands of pages with an intracate infrastructure, then yes, write a business plan.