PDA

View Full Version : Ssh

Mike
12-26-2004, 03:15 PM
Hi all,

Today is the first time I have tried using SSH. I downloaded Putty and everything was doing ok until I had to type my password. It asked me to type my username, I did. It then asked me to type my password in, I tried, but couldn't. I type, but nothing happens. Nothing appears on the screen :confused:

Anyone know what could be wrong?

Thanks,
Mike :)

incka
12-26-2004, 03:27 PM
I think it just doesnt display the password or *.

Shawn
12-26-2004, 03:46 PM
It doesn't show anything when you're typing your password.

Mike
12-26-2004, 04:16 PM
Yep, that's worked, thanks.

I'm trying to get php.ini and edit some of it. I've managed to get right down to the folder is in, but I'm not quite sure what to do next. Could anyone help?

AndyH
12-26-2004, 05:35 PM
pico <file name>

moonshield
12-26-2004, 05:45 PM
use vi. The real programmers editor, and I no I don't want to hear about emacs ;)

AndyH
12-26-2004, 05:50 PM
That is what all the fake elitist bandwagon say :p. Pico is easier for simply making a few changes to a file, in my opinion.

moonshield
12-26-2004, 05:54 PM
really? I can get in vi and get out in a few seconds. just open the file switch to edit mode and then type in the text then exit the mode, and do a :wq. Vi has a little learning curve but I love the interface. :)

AndyH
12-26-2004, 06:50 PM
You mean the same black and white interface that pico has :D.

That's fine, I just rather pico.

moonshield
12-26-2004, 07:07 PM
no, vi(m) basically does not have an interface :)

r2d2
12-27-2004, 02:10 AM
Had an attempt at using vi, but as you say it basically doesnt have an interface, I cant understand why people like it so much, emacs seems a bit prehistoric too.

chromate
12-27-2004, 04:50 AM
I have to agree with thepoorman. vi is really fast once you're familiar with it. It's great for the larger, more intricate, edit jobs.

r2d2
12-27-2004, 05:16 AM
So you wouldnt use it for writing code from scratch? Just edits?

Mike
12-27-2004, 10:23 AM
Ok, well thanks everyone, I can now read php.ini :)

At the moment the server doesn't support ftp, so you cant make file upload scripts etc. I've searched around the internet and found out that I need to add "--enable-ftp" into php.ini, but I'm not sure where. Anyone know?

Thanks...

chromate
12-27-2004, 03:46 PM
So you wouldnt use it for writing code from scratch? Just edits?

I wouldn't choose to write code from scratch using either of them. But personally, if I had to choose between pico and vi to do it, then I would choose vi. But that's mainly because I'm used to it. I'm not sure vi has a lot over pico for writing code from scratch though. Where it excels as an editing platform.

Having said that, I've never spent too much time using pico because I've never needed to. So I may be missing out on some stuff.

Mike, do you mean where do you put it in the php.ini file, or where do you find the file on the server?

moonshield
12-27-2004, 04:41 PM
see my server does not have pico, so I used vi. I like vi a bit more then pico, which I used with Mandrake back in the version 7 days (a while ago). The advantage of vi, other then the speed at which you can use it with, is that it is installed with every single *nix based computer. Vi is probably the most common editor on the planet and is built with the purpose of getting around a file quickly and editing it mighty quickly. emacs is a beast and I have never really used it.

Mike
12-28-2004, 02:45 AM
Mike, do you mean where do you put it in the php.ini file, or where do you find the file on the server?

Where do you put it in php.ini...

Mike
12-29-2004, 10:52 AM
...anybody know? :)

chromate
12-29-2004, 03:30 PM
I'm not sure it actually goes in php.ini does it? I think it's a compiler directive that can be used when php is compiled? Not sure really, never needed to use it.

moonshield
12-29-2004, 06:12 PM
It does not go into the php.ini. It is indeed a compiler directive, complining PHP is indeed a pain in the a**, especially over SSH, though so I don't know what you should do.