PDA

View Full Version : Cooking Site

r2d2
12-22-2004, 05:19 PM
Cookery Online (http://www.cookery-online.co.uk/) is about finished now. Its a site based around a bunch of content from the wiki, and a UK AWS cooking equipment store.

Hopefully I haven't missed anything obvious, but you know how it is when you get near to finishing...

What do you reckon then? Good mix? All look ok on the browser you're using?

moonshield
12-22-2004, 05:24 PM
it looks good but since its co.uk, I think it should be dedicated to UK food, but other than that I think its quite good.

I never knew that wikipedia had recipies, everything is in there.

r2d2
12-22-2004, 06:27 PM
Yeah, I thought about that, but its a bit extra work cutting out all the nonUK articles, plus it cuts down on content, so I kinda went with leaving it all in :)

Recipes werent quite on wikipedia itself, they were on: WikiBooks (http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Main_Page).

Thanks for the compliments.

incka
12-23-2004, 02:58 AM
Don't do .co.uk sites.

Oh, and don't put .co.uk in your title, cause people link to you with what is in your title, for SEO the words 'Cookery Online' are better than 'Cookery-Online.co.uk'

MarkB
12-23-2004, 03:05 AM
r2, DO make .co.uk sites if you want it to be for a UK audience. It strengthens to UK appeal.

I like the idea of the site, but the colour scheme is a little... flat IMO. Some more vibrant colours, to give more of a 'country/gourmet kitchen' feel would do well I think :) Right now it looks like most hacked-together template sites.

r2d2
12-23-2004, 05:14 AM
It is for the UK audience, it uses the UK AWS, so .co.uk is the right choice IMO.

I may get rid of the '.co.uk' in the logo though, perhaps went a bit over the top on strengthening UK appeal...

Good point on the colour Mark, will pull out the colour wheel software later to find a good contrast to go with the green and make a few highlights.

MarkB
12-23-2004, 05:57 AM
Actually, it was the green I disliked the most LOL Good luck with it, Arnold ;)

Blue Cat Buxton
12-23-2004, 06:01 AM
I agree with the .co.uk ok to use argument. Like the pictures on the first page - "Umm food....."

In IE the text only starts at the bottom of the left hand menu

Also on the receipes (Baked lamb and yogurt, strange combination ;)) says

This article contains information from Frosina.org and it is used with .

missing something at the end?

How about adding a system for people to rate recepies or add comments to them? You could then have a 'favorite recepies' section

Also how about links to products from the recpies - ie fish pans from fish recepies - a bit more work, but if it is selling in context might help increase conversion rates

Just some thoughts

r2d2
12-23-2004, 06:34 AM
Yeah, I may change the green aswell :) It is a bit sickly... Lucky I made a little script to create the image curves with the appropriate colours :)

IE problems.... Damn, I always seem to get that problem with my sites...

Will check out that recipe, and think about adding those in context links, good idea thanks.

r2d2
12-23-2004, 06:40 AM
Also, anyone have any idea why I keep getting '[object HTMLImageElement]' appearing as the title of the page when the title is clearly 'Cookery Online' or similar when you go to view source?

MarkB
12-23-2004, 07:13 AM
Your page titles look fine to me...

r2d2
12-23-2004, 10:59 AM
Yeah, it works ok for me always using IE, just happens sometimes with Firefox - hit refresh and its sorts itself. It may be (shock horror!) a little bug with Firefox, I am still using v0.9.2 though...

moonshield
12-23-2004, 02:50 PM
v0.9.2... I did not really like that version. I like this 1.0 though.

r2d2
12-24-2004, 04:13 AM
My favourite extensions werent available for v1, so luckily I still had the install program for v0.9.2. I will move over to it though as it becomes a little more mature, and more extensions are available..

r2d2
12-24-2004, 06:39 AM
GRRR... This thread is about 15th on Google for "Cookery Online", Im about 40th :) Only got spidered yesterday though...