PDA

View Full Version : google changes

Kyle
12-16-2004, 04:09 PM
I am certain that there has been significant fluctuation on Google. The shopping terms I target have been performing at a very high level since ~October 16th. As of last night, the earnings have dropped around 50% due to rankings being lowered on given commercial terms. The reference topics we rank on are still the same.

This only applies to our new shopping, and I'm seeing a lot more spam and crap showing up above us.

I'm confident there is some change as I have seen similar posts on other popular forums. I'm not concerned as earnings at 50% is still more than satisfactory. Also, when seeing all the crap showing up above us, I'm sure we can see more changes in the weeks to come.

James
12-16-2004, 04:26 PM
It could be that there were a lot of spam and crap sites that were launched or have employed new tactics to try and get a good ranking for Christmas shoppers.

If they do it near the peak of Christmas shopping, then it makes it more difficult for Google, and companies to employ counter-tactics to lower their rankings increasing the rankings of useful sites.

Kyle
12-16-2004, 04:33 PM
tntcheats - That is definitely possible.

chromate
12-16-2004, 05:21 PM
I haven't noticed any big changes for anything I monitor.

However, despite this, I have noticed a traffic drop. I just put this down to people being occupied with other "christmas stuff" instead of looking at my sites.

Do you have an ecommerce site? Or are you talking about your affiliate sales?

davesplace1
12-16-2004, 05:42 PM
Google has been all over the place for my sites. Some pages way down, some pages way up, over all I'm seeing more traffic from Google, but less for some commerical terms. It's a Google thing.

Kyle
12-16-2004, 08:08 PM
I'm talking about my affiliate sales and affiliate rankings.

If it was just a small drop in search engine rankings I would not have posted.

joeychgo
12-18-2004, 01:20 AM
It could be that there were a lot of spam and crap sites that were launched or have employed new tactics to try and get a good ranking for Christmas shoppers.

If they do it near the peak of Christmas shopping, then it makes it more difficult for Google, and companies to employ counter-tactics to lower their rankings increasing the rankings of useful sites.

Makes alot of sense. Not only that - but some large sites may have spent money on links to gain higher position for the holidays