PDA

View Full Version : Greetings

nathanaus
12-09-2004, 06:20 AM
Hi there

I'm new. I supppose you could tell that by my lack of post count.

Anyway wanted to say hi. I'm hoping to study annd learn a lot from the people here.

I have tried to start and run websites in the past and constantly fail to attract visitors, which means I fail to generate an money. Thankfully I have a "real" job - as much as I hate it and want to be away from it.

Anyway blah blah, I am obviously doing something severely wrong, so I thought it's time I change the way I'm doing things and try find a better way.

I just wish I knew where all these content sites get their content from! For that matter where E-Commerce sites get their stock from or how the game or TV show sites get their information before anyone else.

Okay enough rambling, time to do some reading.

Emancipator
12-09-2004, 08:20 AM
Greetings and welcome. I get my news from the Studios and Writers.

Westech
12-09-2004, 09:30 AM
Welcome! This is a great place, and I hope you enjoy your time here as much as I do. there are quite a few people here in the same position as you, who work a full time "real" job and work on their websites on the side.

Emancipator
12-09-2004, 09:54 AM
i had no idea there was any other way to do it westech :)

Westech
12-09-2004, 10:03 AM
Sure there is! Isn't that what most of the people here are shooting for?

Mike
12-09-2004, 10:29 AM
Welcome friend ;)

Cutter
12-09-2004, 06:52 PM
Hope this answers a few of your questions

traffic - search engines and word of mouth; make your visitors come back for more
content - write your own until people start writing it for you for free
ecommerce - buy your own or join an affiliate program like Amazon
game sites - make sure publishers know about you, read boards and other smaller sites for scoops

nathanaus
12-10-2004, 12:28 AM
Thanks for the welcome and the ideas on where to get content :)

I didn't know studio's and writers would talk to the ordinary person.

Aren't the Amazon type site over-done?

MarkB
12-10-2004, 01:38 AM
Writers ARE ordinary people - they just have a 'fancy' career LOL

Amazon type sites that are just out-of-the-box (ie, tossed up online with no thought put into them) are definitely over-done. But there are many ways of integrating Amazon's products into content sites to do well with them.

BTW - welcome!! :)

nathanaus
12-10-2004, 04:38 AM
Thanks for the welcome Mark.

Is there a site that has scripts or "templates" to display amazon info in certain ways? I know there are a few that will show every product amazon has - essentially making it an exact clone of amazon.

If you want to target a specific product on amazon for example, are there scripts out there that allow you do that, or indeed can be used to do that through changing a setting in a config file or something?

Blue Cat Buxton
12-10-2004, 04:53 AM
Thanks for the welcome Mark.

Is there a site that has scripts or "templates" to display amazon info in certain ways? I know there are a few that will show every product amazon has - essentially making it an exact clone of amazon.

If you want to target a specific product on amazon for example, are there scripts out there that allow you do that, or indeed can be used to do that through changing a setting in a config file or something?

Have a look at the AWS articles on this site . They explain all about 'browse nodes' which determine the products that are displayed.

Hay, and welcome :)

nathanaus
12-10-2004, 05:11 AM
Cool, will do.

See learnt something already :)