PDA

View Full Version : Image copyrights ?

s2kinteg916
12-08-2004, 07:31 PM
I notice alot of celebrity fansites just collect images from other sites and usually state in their footer that they dont own copyrights ... How much would this protect the owner ? Is this even legal ?

James
12-08-2004, 08:06 PM
How much would this protect the owner ? Is this even legal ?
Not at all. No.

The New Guy
12-08-2004, 08:16 PM
Thanks like telling someone your selling them a bootleg cd.

s2kinteg916
12-08-2004, 08:56 PM
So would it be illegal to make a site about ? say michael jordan ? I mean u cant really make a fan site about michael jordan without any pictures... what are you suppose to do in this situation ?

the example i stated above are celebrity picture sites...

The New Guy
12-08-2004, 09:39 PM
The problem is copyright on the internet is morally ambiguous. In a perfect (from copyright law perspective) you would take the pictures yourself. The best thing to do, other than taking your own pictures, is to source the pictures according to what ever style you prefer.

Chris
12-08-2004, 10:00 PM
I guy I know was hardcore sued for doing this exact thing. Taking celebrity pictures from other picture sites. The copyright owners of the pictures sued all the sites as a whole, the guy had one of the sites. He was one of the small fish in the lawsuit but still. I think he settled for a 5 figure sum.

James
12-08-2004, 10:38 PM
Yeah, and at humorweb.net a group of comic writers sued a group of webmasters who had posted their comics without permission.

Nico
04-03-2006, 05:50 PM
I know this thread is old, but maybe someone can clarify this for me...

If, like stated above, i want to put a Michael Jordan pic on my site....i should get permission of Michael Jordan or from the photographer that took the picture?

If it's from the photographer, is there a specific way/site (besides google) to find out who took the picture?

Thanks!

Shyflower
04-03-2006, 06:43 PM
If you want to post a picture, first contact the photographer (the copyright owner) for his/her permission. At that time you should also find out if he/she has a release from the subject.

Cutter
04-03-2006, 08:44 PM
The photographer may not even be the copyright holder, but thats a start. Some of these big image companies have bots that scour the web for their content, they find a pic on your site and you get an invoice in the mail. Your best start would probably be gettyimages.

Nico
04-03-2006, 10:12 PM
Great, thanks for the answers.
Now, let's say i find the photographer and he is the copyright holder, a mail just giving me permission to use the picture will work?

I didn't know companies searched the net for their pics so they can then bill you...interesting.

Nicolas

Cutter
04-03-2006, 11:31 PM
you might need a contract, it just depends how "safe" you want to be.

Nico
04-04-2006, 01:20 AM
Thanks Cutter, i'll try to find the copyright holders first and then i'll see how to handle it.

Nico