PDA

View Full Version : MSN emotions

thebillionaire
12-06-2004, 04:32 PM
I am planning to create a msn emotion web site, but will I have to create all the emotions or can I get them from other sites, because alot of sites seem to have the same emotions.

James
12-06-2004, 05:44 PM
I'd say don't just pluck them all from other sites without knowing that you're consented to do so.

It's like joke sites; just because you see the jokes on other sites doesn't mean that you can take them, cause it may be you but not the sites they're from who gets sued. This happened a while ago at humorweb.net's forums.

thebillionaire
12-06-2004, 07:38 PM
whao, back to the jokes thing, Im creating a site where people can submit jokes, is there like an user agreement I can put that will prevent me from getting sued?

thebillionaire
12-06-2004, 08:09 PM
any one, I need to know fast.

thebillionaire
12-07-2004, 02:18 PM
come on guys I need to find this out fast.

Mike
12-07-2004, 02:33 PM
obviously they will be copyrighted, whether or not you use them is up to you.

incka
12-07-2004, 03:18 PM
Go do something original Saad.

moonshield
12-07-2004, 03:32 PM
yea, hate to break it to you but making MSN emotions site will probably be a big waste of time. But if you know you can succeed, all power to you and good luck.

thebillionaire
12-07-2004, 05:08 PM
all right see I want to make a Msn emaotion site in flash which looks and functions like a MSN messenger, with the chat window and stuff, but is it ok to? I mean copying the layout for msn messenger, can I get in trouble for that?

thebillionaire
12-07-2004, 08:35 PM
plus will it affect my ranking?

Kyle
12-07-2004, 08:52 PM
I wouldn't bother with doing an MSN emotions site.
If you want to develop unoriginal ideas, I'd recommend focusing on AWS sites. Or even do your best to make AWS sites original, like the example shown in another thread (www.roleplayinggamer.com).

thebillionaire
12-07-2004, 08:55 PM
I dont know how to do AWS, plus they dont seem to make that much money. Im out of ideas of what to make.

Billyray
12-07-2004, 09:50 PM
OK thebillionaire, here is an unused idea for a website. "Valentines Day Tips" - Help for the romantically challenged. Do a top 10 of gift ideas for your loved one. Think chocolate, flowers, jewellery, perfume, romantic DVDs, books, weekends away etc etc. Get them to sign up for an annual reminder email. Sign up for affiliate programs for the above and you should be laughing start now and you might be highly ranked by February.

Anyone else got any unused ideas?

thebillionaire
12-07-2004, 10:16 PM
not my style man, but you should do it.

Billyray
12-07-2004, 10:29 PM
hey I didn't say it was a great idea.. LOL. I just wanted to throw something in the ring to stimulate others to contribute. I reckon it would make a great thread topic (unused ideas).

thebillionaire
12-07-2004, 10:30 PM
Yea, but most people here would use the unused idea, unless it was really crapy

Billyray
12-07-2004, 10:35 PM
yes it would be good to be able to throw an idea at the forum to get feed back without fear of some bugger stealing it.

thebillionaire
12-07-2004, 10:45 PM
yea, I guess, but still, I would prob. be one of those people who would take a good idea

Cutter
12-07-2004, 10:56 PM
Start with a content site about a topic you are familiar with. If that topic involves buying things ($$$) good. If those things can be purchased online great. If those things have a nice profit margin excellant.

I understand where you are. I struggled with this too. Rather than waste time I went straight to making a computer game website. By the time I had finished making several hundred game profiles by hand it I had plenty of ideas to occupy me for months.

Additionally working on the site gave me lots of experience and some very very valuable contacts.

Jaffro
12-08-2004, 07:13 AM
Yea i agree with everyone ish. MSN Emotions is old hat, getting into it now would take ages and its on the downturn at the moment anyway. This time last year you would've been laughing.

Find something with less competition if you can. Or find a popular topic and do something uniquely usefull with it, if you could create an online flash emoticon maker then that would probably bring in intrest and make linking easy, but then thats not going to get you all the way either.

If its your first site then simply do something your intrested in, something you can write a lot of content on without having to do miles of research first - make your life easier while learning all the bits and bobs. If your intrested in it someone else is bound to be too! Find the right k/w's and revelent sites to link up with and your on your way. Visitors first money second.

James
12-08-2004, 09:07 AM
Go do something original Saad.
Yeah, like a Games or Lyrics site. :rolleyes:

incka
12-08-2004, 09:21 AM
They are popular topics though, msn emotions is more specific and there is loads of people on the site with that kind of site already (Please not that I created my first games site back in 1999 before anyone calls me a hypocrite).

thebillionaire
12-08-2004, 02:05 PM
yea but competition is cool, because Im making a flash game site to, even though I know there is alot of competition, especially with miniclip, but still I continue to do it, and I am pretty sure I will make it a big hit really fast.

Westech
12-08-2004, 02:17 PM
I say go for it, billionaire! It's still possible to do well in crowded niches. They wouldn't be so crowded if there wasn't money to be made in them.

I launched my flash games site a few months back, and in my opinion it's already doing very well. I'm already averaging around 1,100 visitors and 10,000 pageviews per day. I just put some ads up on it within the last few days. They're not making me rich yet, but they're bringing in enough to let me invest in some nice promotion to continue to grow the site.

If you work hard at building and promoting a good site, you'll do fine.

thebillionaire
12-08-2004, 02:19 PM
so back to the layout is it legal to make the layout look like msnmessenger?

Mike
12-08-2004, 02:23 PM
It's up to you, but I don't think a new msn site would do that well. When I first thought of the idea, there was one, maybe two other sites. Since I first started it the money has gone down a fair bit.

thebillionaire
12-08-2004, 02:26 PM
what about the layout?

AndyH
12-08-2004, 06:55 PM
what about the layout?
The real question is would MSN even care?

James
12-08-2004, 08:03 PM
The real question is would MSN even care?
To answer your question: Mike Rowe Soft.

With gaming sites and the sort, they may be crowded, but that doesn't mean that the sites are all taking and keeping all of the traffic. And as long as your site's high enough quality you'll prevail.

AndyH
12-08-2004, 09:09 PM
To answer your question: Mike Rowe Soft.

With gaming sites and the sort, they may be crowded, but that doesn't mean that the sites are all taking and keeping all of the traffic. And as long as your site's high enough quality you'll prevail.
Oh you mean the PR disaster for Microsoft? :confused: ;)

thebillionaire
12-08-2004, 09:18 PM
? I dont get it.

James
12-08-2004, 11:25 PM
Microsoft tried suing Mike Rowe because he made mikerowesoft.com

And Andy, it was just to prove a point: Microsoft takes action.

AndyH
12-09-2004, 01:03 AM
Microsoft had to take action, if they don't then they can lose their trademark.

Intellectual property is different ... i'm not saying they won't, but over something they don't have to take action on they definatly won't be sending anyone to court straight away; there will definatly be a cease or desist letter and at that point you take action to remove what they ask.

incka
12-09-2004, 01:12 AM
Dell sent me one of those cease and desist letters. I got it framed.