PDA

View Full Version : vBulletin vs. PhpBB

moonshield
12-05-2004, 02:31 PM
Which do you all think is better? Why would one pay to use vBulletin?

Westech
12-05-2004, 03:13 PM
I use vBulletin, and haven't ever run an active forum using phpbb, so take my opinion for what it's worth. From what I understand, vBulletin has more features and is more stable and efficient, especially on sites with heavy traffic.

Personally, I would choose vb for forums that I knew would get heavy traffic, and use phpbb for simple, small forums without much traffic. You can always migrate phpbb to vb if your forum takes off and you decide that phpbb isn't cutting it anymote. There's a script on the vb site that installs vbulletin and transfers everything over from your phpbb forum for you.

Mike
12-05-2004, 03:17 PM
I've been told that vBulletin has a lot better admin system, although I'm sure there's members here who can extend a little on that...

James
12-05-2004, 03:27 PM
phpBB is free, if that means better then use it. If you can afford it, though, and expect to have it paid for by ads on the site, go with vBulliten.

The New Guy
12-05-2004, 03:39 PM
phpBB isnt even part of the equation anymore. Its Vb VS Invision.

ozgression
12-05-2004, 04:23 PM
I would go with VB. With phpBB it is very hard customize the layout.
________
Mercedes-Benz 230 history (http://www.mercedes-wiki.com/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_230)

Emancipator
12-05-2004, 05:21 PM
ive had troubles wtih phpbb as many know.. when i had 488 people on my board it slowed to almost death for a few hours.. lol

I am contemplating buying a vbulletin copy just so i can do a theme easily since i hear its easy enough.

moonshield
12-05-2004, 06:20 PM
all right then... Invision vs. vBulletin! Or are there some other good free forum software?

Emancipator
12-05-2004, 07:18 PM
as far as free goes phpbb is the way to go in my books poorman.

chromate
12-06-2004, 05:15 AM
I've used phpBB and didn't find it that difficult to customize. Though, I don't know how easy vBulletin is. As phpBB is free and it's seemingly so easy to swap to vBulletin in the future, why not just start off with phpBB. If you ever feel the need to swap then it should be easy as pie. Don't hold me to that though, as I've never personally done it. Just going on what other people have said.

Emancipator
12-06-2004, 06:29 AM
im with chromate.. thats where i would start.

MarkB
12-06-2004, 06:43 AM
I agree with chromate - that is, if you can't afford vBulletin.

Changing from phpBB to vBulletin is a relatively painless experience (I've done it a few times now for various people), and vB is - in my opinion - still head a shoulders above other scripts as far as features are concerned. Obviously people will always bring price into the equation, but if you can afford it, going with vB from the start will enable you to build your community from the ground up with a very powerful tool that will only get better.

moonshield
12-06-2004, 07:11 AM
well i can afford it, so I will get it! Thanks for the info

Westech
12-06-2004, 08:03 AM
If you can afford it, you won't be disapointed with vB. It's a great piece of software.

James
12-06-2004, 09:11 AM
Yeah, it sure is.

http://www.yabbforum.com/ is another contender.

s2kinteg916
12-06-2004, 09:30 AM
Youll end up going vb anyhow u might as well start out with it =)

Chris
12-06-2004, 10:34 AM
$160 is cheat if you're running a successful website. I started out with phpbb on my literature site but when you consider how much the site brings in, paying out a paltry $160 was well worth it.

Understandably not everyone has a profitable website yet, but if it is profitable there should be no discussion.

James
12-06-2004, 11:05 AM
Of course, there are always converstion scripts, which allow you to bring your database into vBulletin from phpBB, but you'll stand a much better chance of earning the money back from having more people visiting and posting at your website due to vBulletin's archives.

incka
12-06-2004, 11:46 AM
I have one forum on phpbb and three start-up vb ones. VB is a lot better, but I still haven't found out how to get my templates to work on it. My PHPBB one is working ok as phpbb for now, but sometime next year I'm going to switch it to VB.

Emancipator
12-06-2004, 11:55 AM
i will have to update mine to vbulletin but it wont be on hte top of my list to do since so much of my code is interlinked to the forum.

James
12-06-2004, 02:13 PM
With vB, the license doesn't go cross-domain does it? By this, I mean you need a seperate license for each website that you run it on.

moonshield
12-06-2004, 02:55 PM
yes, you do need a sepearte license for each site. They are cheaper for everyone you buy though. Just look at their website.

joeychgo
12-08-2004, 05:02 PM
You can lease the licenses as well - which is helpful for someone just starting out - the lease price is $85 a year.

This is a good option for someone just starting and not knowing if their forum will last more then a year - or for someone who is starting on a shoestring.

moonshield
12-13-2004, 06:12 PM
well, i bit the bullet and bought this software... wow, it is a work of art. I love it. Thanks for suggesting it to me!

The forum i am using this on is policyradar.com

James
12-13-2004, 10:36 PM
My problem with vBulletin is its branding ($120.00 to remove? what a rip-off!); I also like IPB's interface better, and templating's a snap--I don't have any experience with the vBulletin administrator interface, so I couldn't really comment on it, though. I assume it's fantastic.

MarkB
12-13-2004, 11:16 PM
The only branding you need to retain is the copyright in the footer. You can remove anything else.

chromate
12-14-2004, 04:39 AM
I also like IPB's interface better, and templating's a snap

I have to agree with you. I much prefer IPB's interface.