PDA

View Full Version : Redoing nav bar

Cloughie
09-21-2003, 04:25 AM
my current navigation bar (left one) is here www.wannabebig.com

The new one I am working on is www.wannabebig.com/index2.php

For a start I wanted to split things up into main categories and features. It makes more sense and will be easier for the viewer to see the info.

However mymain question is in regards to the partners bit. I am going to put on their www.wannabebigforums.com and www.atlargenutrition.com

Now, I made a page for at large www.wannabebig.com/atlarge.php

What do you think of this? Should I link to that from the link on the nav bar? Same for the forums? Or should I scrap these extra pages and just link straight to the websites? I figured a bit more info about the forums and at large on www.wannabebig.com might not hurt?

Also I was considering trying to create a partner ship with some hihgly ranked sites, much like www.sitepoint.com has done.

In that case maybe I should have 2 sections?

Partner links (other site relationships)

Wannabebig Network (my own network of sites)

This would make it clear that at large, the forums and any other sites I decide to make are part of the wbb network and the rest are just partner links. My links could link to dedicated pages on wbb like the at large one aboive and the partner ones can be direct external links.

basically what do you think overall?

Also I was considering

Cloughie
09-21-2003, 04:28 AM
or would I be better off having these partner links just on a links page?

Also what do you think of the text next to some of the nav links. Is this helping me on the search engines?

Mike
09-21-2003, 05:24 AM
Don't you think you'd be better seeing what your future partners would link to you like? If it's just a simple link on their links page, there's no point you flashing their name around on your important pages.

Hope you inform us on how you get along with your future partners:)

Chris
09-21-2003, 06:53 AM
Ditto on what mike said.

For the rest link directly to them. Putting a middle-page between wbb and al will evaporate some of your PageRank.

You need to link to AL directly from every page on your site.

Cloughie
09-21-2003, 09:19 AM
hmm you guys are right about the partners things.

I guess the middle page was just meant to really explain about how people are helping and also to have a few direct product links into at large.

I will do as you say though ;)

Would you recommend linking directly to At Large on every page with At Large Nutrition as the anchor text? Then just finding places to link in nutritional supplements in any other pages also, like the supp articles etc?

Chris
09-21-2003, 10:05 AM
Link from every page using the word "Nutritional Supplements"

You could put an advertising on the bottom of every page of your site.

"We just launched a new line of nutritional supplements, check them out."

Cloughie
09-21-2003, 10:11 AM
Sounds good! I think I will use

At Large Nutrition - Your number one choice for nutritional supplements (http://www.atlargenutrition.com)

Cloughie
09-21-2003, 03:22 PM
done :) I put it at the bottom of all my pages, well added it to my bottom include ;) I also redid my nav bar along the left to make it a bit more easier to use.

Anything else I can do on wbb.com to help promote at large?

Currently I have the link at the bottom of each page and the announcement at the top of the index, plus a banner on each page?

I know I have a lot to do on At Large, but I wanted to correctly promote it on wbb.com first. Then I will work on adding the same footer to my forums and the same sort of announcement on the index page. Sound good?

Then its work on optimising at large site itself.

Prince
10-11-2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Cloughie
Anything else I can do on wbb.com to help promote at large?

Yup, write some articles about supplements, then in the articles mention your brand using a nice little text link to it that sends them straight to your product on your supplement site.

AST uses this method, if you go their site and read their articles they always mention their brand using links to them.